Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2023, 10:54 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrobert10 View Post
I’ve had the same problem multiple times and a couple caliper freezing while traveling. I recently bought the crazy expensive SSBC calipers. Night and day difference in stopping power!
Could you share what part numbers you used and any adaptors needed to hang the calipers? Thanks.

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 03:22 PM   #12

I have a mix year axles so it’s a bit off. My front axle is 04 rear is 05.

04=8 piston caliper. https://ssbc-usa.com/products/a193-1...350-super-duty

05=https://ssbc-usa.com/products/a193-6?rq=yr_2005~mk_ford~md_f-350-super-duty

Fronts are huge, no caliper brackets or slide pins, pistons on both sides.

Rear for 05 use stock caliper brackets.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1106.jpg   IMG_1104.jpg  
Nrobert10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 08:18 AM   #13

I use the purple ceramic brake caliper grease on the slider pins, and have no issues with uneven wear anymore. I use it on the pad sliders as well.

I think our vans are so heavy, the extra braking heat just breaks down regular grease, causing stiction.
Old 05-17-2023, 08:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
I think our vans are so heavy, the extra braking heat just breaks down regular grease, causing stiction.
The sliders moved freely when I took the calipers off, but I wonder if somehow they bind up when everything gets torqued down, like the caliper bracket puts them in a bind? I've been using the silicone grease supplied with the Power Stop pads, so I should be good there. I use it on the abutment clips too, but it can't possibly last more than the first dirt road or rain storm, but I guess it helps get things aligned at first.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 01:34 AM   #15

Do you have a Manufacturer name and part number for the ones that you have??

You have had this same issue multiple times so theres a common denominator here someplace and the odds of slide pins sticking on multiple calipers on both sides coincidently over and over is a bit unlikely IMO. That is unless your hanging out in the sand dunes or mud swamp on a daily basis. Not impossible but unlikely. Is it possible for a proportioning valve to be sticking and not allowing the brake fluid to bleed back fully when the brake pedal is released? Is the master cylinder over full?
ScrapIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 05:19 AM   #16
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIron View Post
Its likely that youre running unloaded brake calipers versus a loaded style caliper.

Im currently doing a big project on my rear axle which is going to require that i use the F350 brake calipers on my Chinook. I can get loaded or unloaded for the same truck at the same price point. I think that you can get loaded calipers and semi-loaded for the vans as well if you do some researching of parts.
Without offense I'm highly skeptical and dubious of the contention there is any huge difference between loaded vs unloaded reman'd calipers. For the past 10 years I've been using reman'd Motorcraft calipers mated with NAPA's Ultra Premium pads both front and rear without any issues.

I do pay attention to the slide pins, using the proper grease and replacing the dust boots too.

This is curious.........
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 05:54 AM   #17

I wouldnt take offense, only the first portion of the post are my thoughts. The last portion is a comparison written by someone else that i pasted to explain the pros and cons of both types.
Old 05-18-2023, 10:11 PM   #18

I also write this without the intention to offend, only to be clear and help prevent misinformation from spreading via our great SMB forum.

There is no difference between loaded and unloaded calipers. Loaded calipers are simply sold with the pads installed to save the mechanic time. Installing brake pads in calipers (ie. loading them) is simple and who installs the pad has no affect on the stopping power that a brake system can produce. This “article” is almost certainly written by a bot and has many errors and contradictions, and should not be referenced.

Good luck on your pad wear issue, AT. I hope you get it solved and hope you can return to post about what your solution is.
Old 05-18-2023, 11:10 PM   #19

Ya, thats what i use to think as well until i was at ford ordering parts for the f350 hub and rotor project on my Chinook. They listed several calipers all motorcraft and they were marked, loaded, unloaded, and semi loaded and i asked him what exactly does that mean? He stated the loaded calipers are better.

That said i came home and did a google and came up with that link discussing the difference and thought..." wow i had no idea all these years".
That said i think i will just delete that portion of my comment because it doesnt seem to be completely accurate.
Old 05-19-2023, 07:14 AM   #20
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIron View Post
That said i came home and did a google and came up with that link discussing the difference and thought..." wow i had no idea all these years".
That said i think i will just delete that portion of my comment because it doesnt seem to be completely accurate.
Oddly enough when I was first presented with the "loaded vs unloaded" choice it was said its main intention was to reduce installation time when replacing calipers and pads, this more important when performed by a paid shop, aka "dealership" etc.

Your point was well intended and not without merit as it did spark a bit of conversation and sharing----never a bad thing IMHO! You might leave your OP as-is for context on this subject.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote