Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2021, 07:30 PM   #11

Scott - Thank you. This is the closest to what I was considering. I like the stackable feature however they are limited to liquid uses for the space. Very much appreciate the crowd sourcing ideas for use cases to all others on the site. I love the battery storage idea from another subscriber. Please keep sending use cases for the space! I think the creativity of uses from SMB owners demands something new.

James
TheVanIsARockin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 07:31 PM   #12

Garage
In our van, that area is used for our horizontally mounted Manchester propane tank. Interesting, Trailed’s ingenuity for carrying extra water. Great idea.

2019 Transit 350 HR Eco Quigley 4X4
“Vandemic”
Charliesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 11:58 PM   #13
A2Z

Those water donuts are a cool idea, but: call me old fashioned, I kinda like to be able to see whats going on inside my water storage containers. Better yet, be able to really clean them out.
A2Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 01:06 PM   #14

I use the spare tire winch to raise and lower a spare fuel tank to make it easier to get to. I also added a cross bar to ensure I don’t lose anything on a rough road.

It has worked pretty well. We have put on about 5000 miles carrying the extra tank. It does collect dirt and rocks, and the plastic tank has scratches from rocks.

Post 151 in my build thread documents how I did it.

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...-20698-16.html

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5336.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	186.7 KB
ID:	37723

>> Corey
cthayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 07:55 PM   #15

Love that fuel tank Corey. Very creative. Thank you for sharing and thank you for the pics of the build and writing about the challenges you overcame.
James
TheVanIsARockin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 10:10 AM   #16

I put a spare tire in it. When traveling to remote spots, which is the whole reason I bought my rig, I have had flats before. Once you are in the middle of no where, and you get one flat, things change. You are constantly fearful of getting another and being stranded, which has also happened to me. Multiple times. For me, traveling with two spares is mandatory.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 10:44 AM   #17

I have the under storage box but noticed there's a huge area in front of the box as well. Has anyone made use of this area? I'm thinking of building something to house a diesel furnace I've been meaning to install, possibly additional water as well.
Old 01-07-2021, 10:45 AM   #18

Ice cube maker

In San Diego that space might be good for water storage, but in much of the country it would freeze up. But hey, build it the way YOU want it, and don’t worry about the next owner.
lchukar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 10:45 AM   #19

Garage
I too had the same question about 9 months ago. I have standard length van and I could not find any ready made modules to mount up there to hold water. Then, based some input from the group here I thought about fuel. Aero Tanks has a fuel tank they can mount up there, 20 gal as I recall, but it was very pricey. What I did was mount a RotoPax bracket up under there (after removing the tire winch mechanism) and installed 3 of their 4 gallon fuel cans. I can carry all diesel or maybe use one for gas depending on what other equipment I am bringing with me like motorcycle, atv, chainsaw, whatever. Anyway, it gives flexibility to carry none, 1, 2 or 3 fuel containers neatly tucked away. I have done some off-roading with this setup and it seems to be solid and well protected.

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...cture43520.jpg

Glenn P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 10:47 AM   #20

Garage
Here is a picture of the bracket mounted under there.

Glenn P. is offline   Reply With Quote