Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2021, 11:39 AM   #21

How much clearance is there between the tailpipe and the fuel? Any chance of things shifting, melting, combusting?

Old 01-07-2021, 12:04 PM   #22

Garage
It's got several inches of clearance. My truck is diesel so combustion would be difficult. Also, the tailpipe back there is only really hot when under load, and to be under load I'd be moving with airflow over that for cooling. At idle the exhaust that far back is not overly hot at all. If you only run 2 cans instead of 3 then you have 4-5" of clearance from the exhaust. The setup is rock solid, nothing shifts or moves. It is also well protected from rear end collision by the trailer hitch.

When I started down this path I was going to mount my fuel cans on the rear bumper rack and keep extra water underneath. I later realized I VERY RARELY need to utilize the fuel cans but I regularly need to get to my water and I really don't want my galley box to smell like diesel if a can leaks as I also keep my kitchen stuff in there.
Glenn P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 02:04 PM   #23

Garage
My spare tire is stored under the van. Is there a reason most van spares are mounted on the back? I do not have the nice bummers and racks yet. I just got my van last week.
Berta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 02:16 PM   #24

Garage
It's a great question and one that you don't understand until faced with the problem. Standard size tires fit just fine under the van in the standard location. As you go with larger diameter tires for off-road use, the tires are bigger and do not fit under there any longer. This is why we relocate them to a rear tire carrier. Once you do this though, you will notice this HUGE empty spot under your van that just begs to have something put there.
Old 01-07-2021, 02:21 PM   #25

true

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn P. View Post
It's a great question and one that you don't understand until faced with the problem. Standard size tires fit just fine under the van in the standard location. As you go with larger diameter tires for off-road use, the tires are bigger and do not fit under there any longer. This is why we relocate them to a rear tire carrier. Once you do this though, you will notice this HUGE empty spot under your van that just begs to have something put there.
This is true, however, as a backup, I have a tire that fits in there for a second spare. I guess if you've never needed it, you wouldn't see the value.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 02:22 PM   #26

Garage
Thanks, Glenn P. since it fits, I'll leave the tire where it is.
Berta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 02:38 PM   #27

Garage
So true Pete! I usually use my F-250 for the serious 4x4 stuff with 2 full size spares on board. I also carry a plug kit and onboard compressor on the van to just fix a leak and hopefully not even need to switch to the spare.
Old 01-07-2021, 02:52 PM   #28

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DosMars View Post
How much clearance is there between the tailpipe and the fuel? Any chance of things shifting, melting, combusting?
If that is truly a concern for you DosMars, My 4" exhaust runs about 2 1/2" from the side my Transmission pan - created quite a bit of radiant heat that would literally "heat" the entire side of the Mag-Hytec pan...Not helping the temp situation. So, I installed one of these which has helped shield the pan from the heat - has worked great.

https://www.amazon.com/Design-Engine...&sr=8-161&th=1
Old 01-09-2021, 10:24 PM   #29

Very cool Glenn. I'll take a closer look at the Rotopax bracket and cost. Of course it doesn't use the spare tire winch mechanism which I was interested in preserving but it does provide functional value. I don't suppose the Rotopax containers are locked huh?
James
TheVanIsARockin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 12:21 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn P. View Post
Here is a picture of the bracket mounted under there.

Glenn, what changes in the mounting system to switch from carrying 1 to 3 containers?