Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2009, 10:00 AM   #1

Voyager top leak

Anyone else had a leak problem with a Voyager top? Our 2004 Ford SB has a voyager top with the sliding side windows. We have FINALLY solved all leak problems with the sliding windows, however, we still have a leak entering somewhere between the black cover strip and the gutter. If we run water over that area and then drive the van, the first time we put on the brakes we have water run out at the upper left corner of the headliner. Being unfamiliar with exactly how this top is installed, we are wondering if it is possible for water to somehow run up under the top or are there possible screw holes that allow water in under the trim ring? ANY suggestions would be GREATLY apreciated --- as this leak is driving us crazy!!! Yes, we have contacted SB West numerous times and made the very lengthy 1500 mile round trip there twice and we still have the leak. Thank you for any replies!

Old 04-21-2009, 10:27 AM   #2

Re: Voyager top leak

Not with the voyager top but I can say "been there done that" with double trips to SMB for a leaky PH. The solution eventually was to fix it myself.

I have also in a heavy storm had water come out the headliner after driving. The Ford roof is two pieces up front (inside and outside), and I have a fantastic fan that was installed by the PO. I couldn't tell how the water got in, but luckly it hasn't been a recurring problem for me.

Good luck.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:29 PM   #3
Site Team

Garage

Possibly a stupid thought, but if you close up all the windows and doors and crank up the air maybe you can use a spray bottle with soapy water around suspicious areas outside on the top. Look for bubbles??? Then hit that area with water and look for the leak inside. Might be worth a try.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 05:43 PM   #4

daveb has a good idea. If that doesn't give you enough air, I've put a leaf blower in the passenger window, blocked off the remaining hole after rolling up the window and found dust leaks that way. A shop vac outlet works too, just not near as much air. Looks weird, but works.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:43 PM   #5

The tops are screwed right into the body and sometimes there are gaps left from fiberglass variations. If you get up in there and pull back the carpet and expose the corner you will most likely see light.
Get yourself some windshield butyl (it is what windshields are installed with) Make sure it is the type used in a caulk gun. And then carefully reseal the area between the voyager top and the van top.

Be sure that you have resolved the leaking windows otherwise the moisture is trapped inside resulting in mold....good luck
spurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 12:23 PM   #6

A sincere thanks for all of the suggestions! We will be tackling this project this weekend and will post what we find next week (for future reference). We're waiting to hear from Sportsmobile as to their installation process of the raised tops, ---- this info could certainly help us with our search. Keep your fingers crossed.