Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2012, 06:27 PM   #11

Re: Warn M12000 - Aluminess install

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
One of the reasons I upgraded the alternator.
I thought about doing the same, until I noticed how short the warranties are on higher-output alternators (1-yr for a 220 vs lifetime for a new 130). At lighter load pulls, I'll trip the thermal switch before my old batteries got low. I think the better batteries will be enough to keep pulling, up to the winch's limit anyways.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:54 PM   #12
Site Team

Garage
Re: Warn M12000 - Aluminess install

Unfortunately I didn't have a choice unless I wanted to live with power loss while running my Starcool. Having enough power to supply everything on the vehicle as well as offering a quicker charge was definitely worth the cost to me. Being able to power the winch at idle was just an added benefit.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 06:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANZAC View Post
I will keep this post updated.

1. Follow this document to convert M12000 so it will fit into bumper and to be foot mounted
(pls contact Aluminess for any questions http://www.aluminess.com/about.htm)

this picture shows the winch with all the changes completed - NOTE FOUR MAIN BOLT HOLES ARE FACING DOWN, not forwards:

Notes:
a) rotate motor 180 deg - this is really straightforward, you need a 13mm wrench
b) re-index gearbox - the doc says it must be moved 1/3 turn, it is more like 1/5 of a turn, or 2/10 holes (see pictures)

c) mount solenoid box with the W upside down, and rotated forward so it clears the door. I tried to mount mine as close to vertical (but still kicked forward) otherwise the box of the solenoid box will hit the lid

detail of my solenoid wire routing:

d) careful with moving the cross brace rod --- make sure you put a piece of rubber or something to protect it when you hold it with pliers, I gouged mine a little because my pliers cut through the cloth I used which was folded double

2. I used two bolts at the rear - you're connecting into the rear plate which connects to the frame rails, definitely adding a lot of strength here. I used one washer on each side, between the winch and the back of the bumper box, and then installed the four bolts/washers from below. If you use anti-sieze as recommend in the instructions (given how much hassle I had with the old winch, I used it) be aware that this will impact your torque wrench readings, don't accidentally overtighten!

ANZAC, is it possible to upload pics through another format or PM me the play by play. I’m just about to buy an M12000, and am researching the modifications to fit it into an Aluminess front bumper. Apologies for digging up a 7yo thread as I keep searching. Thanks in advance.
NomadQ is offline   Reply With Quote