Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2011, 06:56 PM   #11
Site Team

Garage
Re: WARNING! Check Sportsmobile's wiring!!! Look what I fou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver350
You should read about. Joey2Cool's propane tank installation!

Seriously, I think this is typical of the RV industry in general.
I probably have to agree here. These companies pay low wages and have people coming and
going all the time. It's an assembly line type construction. Out of site out of mind. I would
hate to be the quality control guy which is probably just the upper management. You'd have
to teeter on replacing personnel over getting the jobs done on time. Way back I said I wouldn't
really want a van built by Sportsmobile when it's 105 degrees in their shop. But I must admit SMB
have been very proactive with me on making things right which is where I draw the line between
the typical camper outfit & them. I'm sure some have had problems that were not resolved to their
satisfaction as it is in almost every industry. But when it's a huge safety issue like that electrical
wire, it should be reported to the company. Fit and finish is one thing but a vehicle fire is another.
They can't fix what they don't know about and I would never think the management condones it.

Some of us don't have the time, or know-how to build a DYO. Contracting out might be a good
solution provided you get a good contractor who doesn't do the same. To tell the truth, I've
had way poorer service with Ford over SMB but that's service and they don't build the van. I
expected equipment problems when I ordered the van because I've had several campers in the
past but running a heavy electrical wire like that through sharp metal is uncalled for. They got a
worker that shouldn't be there.
Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:58 PM   #12

Garage

Hey, man, relax and stop yelling at me!

Sure would be a nice world if everything was perfect, huh? I've had my van 3.5 years, and it is equipped with many options and systems. I've had a few minor issues, and resolved them. Some I just fixed and shut up about it. In general, I'm delighted with the design and execution of my van from SMB.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:18 PM   #13
Site Team

Garage

Watch out Jeffery you might get this.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:59 PM   #14

Hey hey hey

Don't get me wrong. Other than the fact that I wanted a chevy10 4X4 since I was a kid, seeing an SMB in person is what got me wanting a Ford so bad. I couldn't find one I liked with the options at a reasonable price.. especially when it came to financing it, I got frustrated and said F it.. I'm building one my way. Also I would probably tear an SMB apart and rebuild it my way so why not save some money and do it the way I want. So it made since. I agree that some poor kid making $10 an hour sweating his head off and just wants the boss to STFU and get the job done. If they had an inspection on every aspect of building a van the way a house is built there would only be 1 or 2 made a year at each dealer. BTW there are no requirements to van conversions (building code) or highway safety restrictions. Which puzzles me.
I really enjoy what I've learned here on this forum, and this goes to show how bad news travels fast.. how about the countless options and builds that are out there running strong.

I'm not a basher, I had to chime in and say something about the tech screws, and if you look closer there are more than I saw earlier..... I hate those things but they are convenient.

My question is "Do they hold the PH top on with those ?" If so it seems that a few strategically placed 1/4 -20 nylocked through bolts will withstand more punishment than 10lbs of self tapping screws, be more cost efficient, plus save time, and be neater.

But you have to use a tape measure, a drill and drill bits.
Toolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:24 AM   #15

Quick question: SMB West, South or North did that fine job of wiring?
1974VWSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:26 AM   #16

SPORTSMOBILE WEST. The same guys who "hacked" the roof. Check out the awesome placement of the BOLTS that hold the pass/rear corner down. There's practically ZERO grab surface used, due to the above mentioned hack job. Isn't there a STRAIGHT TEMPLATE they use, that actually lets their bolts go through the roof metal, and not around it? I know I could have installed this top better. Basically, Im dependent on those cheap washers to hold my top securely (in that corner, havent even thought of looking at the other side yet).

Am I missing something? Are they all installed like this?
Old 04-13-2011, 11:22 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4tour
SPORTSMOBILE WEST. The same guys who "hacked" the roof. Check out the awesome placement of the BOLTS that hold the pass/rear corner down. There's practically ZERO grab surface used, due to the above mentioned hack job. Isn't there a STRAIGHT TEMPLATE they use, that actually lets their bolts go through the roof metal, and not around it? I know I could have installed this top better. Basically, Im dependent on those cheap washers to hold my top securely (in that corner, havent even thought of looking at the other side yet).

Am I missing something? Are they all installed like this?

Holy Moley!

Maybe we can start a fund to get them a sawsall with a metal cutting blade

Why dont you ask them direct on Expo forum on the deal the sponsor

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/f ... a48c&f=111
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:24 PM   #18

That's a head scratcher. I would think of any thing they touch, the roof opening has to be right, there are no do-overs. Oh well, not like these things are going to take a beating, right?
webbmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:35 PM   #19

Bill,

The only word I can think of with the word "fund" in it, is "refund"... lol

At this point, all i can do is laugh about it... Has anyone sent this link to Alan yet?
Old 04-13-2011, 04:52 PM   #20

Wow! That is unacceptable, holy crap! Have you brought this to SMB West's attention?
saline is offline   Reply With Quote