Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2011, 08:20 PM   #41

Re: WARNING! Check Sportsmobile's wiring!!! Look what I fou

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4tour
I read somewhere on here about these tops having rollover requirements...? I'll have to look for it again, but after working 8 hours on it today, it'll be bit later, plus a Yankee game is on
They are supposed to be stronger with the PH than stock. SMB also recently introduced seatbelts to backup the J hooks in the event of a crash, it was supposed to be an optional recall or something, not sure what happened with it, but it came from the rollover in Mexico I think...

Old 05-09-2011, 10:43 PM   #42

After reading all of this, I deceided to post...Just got my state inspection, brake light on ph top, left side was out.. Just take off the red cover, change the bulb, right.... Some dumb nuts screwed the red cover on this way... Two screws from inside the ph top, under the upholstry, one on the left side, one on the right side... red cover would not come out. Also, full of water. I have seen some stupied stuff by these people. BF Goodrich tires on a 10 lb van , D rated. Riding though Taho mts., with a bubble on the inside tire. I had to take all tires off at 6k miles and put on "E" rated tires. Love my van but I would hate to look behind the walls. Amsoil oil flow....flowing backwards though the filter. Ordered van from Ford, delieved to SMB West, with 400.00 6-cd , pick it up with single cd player installed???? Was this Fords, or SMB W. This stuff is below happy camper. Gene
Old 05-10-2011, 07:31 AM   #43

That's how all the 3rd brake lights are installed, it's not under the upholstery it's inside the PH lip, through the fiberglass form. It's also upside down, which I think is where the water comes from but I've been told that's necessary to keep it from rubbing on the PH canvas. I went to an external mount LED, and the 3rd brake hole got deleted on my top... I'd been using it for a camera mount. But, like putting on Ds, or the springs that will be flat inside of two years instead of Deavers, one wonders why they don't just use an external LED bar for all the 3rd brake lights.

What happened with your radio, did they get it replaced for you?
Old 05-11-2011, 01:05 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver350
There is somebody on here who ordered their van with rear air on purpose and when the propane tank hole was cut the factory cut right through the aluminum A/C tubes and just left them. I thought it was you for some reason.
Now I know how I got mixed up in that. My van had optional rear A/C, but I did not buy the install to hook up to it. Apparently, since I was not using the option SMB West decided to wack out the A/C tubes when they installed the propane tank. You were correct on this count. I probably mis-spoke regarding the option. I did expect original manufacturer's stuff to stay intact during the SMB modification process, with the exception of holes that had to be cut in the body for windows, penthouse, and utility connections. It was a surprise to see that I lost a portion of the hardware that came with the van and that would be needed to make use of the option to connect up to the A/C system should I ever want rear A/C.

Thanks for the clarification.
joey2cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 05:27 PM   #45

Well guys, today while installing a TruckVault as the base of my bed, I discovered that the upper, plastic guide (passenger side) in the metal track, was off its "mount". I had to use a screwdriver to get it back on the metal frame, but it kept coming back off when I put the top up and down. What a POS this design is.

Heck, Ive only had this top up and down maybe 20 times in a year. After all, I'm still in building mode.

I also discovered that the support poles base bolts were scraping along the base frame sides, causing binding and bending (see scrapes and 1 bent bolt in pic).

The plastic track SHOULD have been glued to the metal base, not just relying on a plastic press fit. As a fix, I drilled a hole on the base, next the plastic guide that keeps coming off. I then glued the guide on to the base, and then used a zip tie in the new hole, and around the end of the plastic guide and lubed copper with anti-seize

I also used 4 pieces of clear tubing, which I cut to about 5/8 lengths, then V-notched each end. These were then pressed into each end of the plastic guides to hold the ends in place.

I then trimmed off a 1/4" of the base bolts so they wouldn't scrape and bind anymore.

No wonder the cross-bolts are snapping. The plastic guide design is seriously lacking....