Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2016, 07:01 AM   #1

weatherproof air line quick connects/couplers

What have you used? I'm looking for a better option for mounting air quick connects/couplers in the bumpers than the typical open ended brass or steel ones. Has anyone found a capped or weatherproof version? The front bumper mounted connect takes on a lot of weather and I just never have liked the idea of leaving them open.

I like these poly ones I found that accept any style male fitting but they are still open so I'd like to find a cap.

Klutch 3-Way Female Composite Coupler — 1/4in. | Air Couplers Plugs| Northern Tool + Equipment

Another idea is to just use a better quality and better looking coupler and find a cap on Mcmaster or somewhere for it.

Milton M-Style Safety Coupler — Push Button, 1/4in. FNPT M-Style, Model# S99705 | Air Couplers Plugs| Northern Tool + Equipment

I have not used any of these push button safety couplers before at all and would love some feedback on them to anyone who has. I'm always looking for a better option in the shop since I use and abuse mine pretty harshly. Are they worth the price vs. cheap brass ones?

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 07:11 AM   #2

I've only used the cheap ones like Campbell Hausfeld from Home Depot but McMaster has lots to choose from......Haven't found any with weatherproof caps though.

This should keep you busy:

McMaster-Carr
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 07:15 AM   #3

Garage
I have the brass ones and put the rubber ends for canes over it. Perfect snug fit and cheap to replace when I drive off with one on bumper.

TexGX
2006 Casita (Makes it a three bedroom 1 and 1/2 bath)
TexGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 10:48 AM   #4

Garage
^^^ great idea!

i looked around and wanst able to find one with a cap either. so i planned on widdling down (lathe etc) a piece of wood that was just smaller than the coupler (so the cap fit snug). then i was going to grease it up and dip it in plastidip (the kind you use for tool handles, not the spray on crap) enough times that it created a cap. that way you can make it as long/deep as you choose so it covers all of the coupler including all of the slide mechanism. you can even chose the color you like too
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 11:29 AM   #5

How about using "glad hands" connectors like they use on the air lines of big rigs? Pretty heavy duty and (I assume) weatherproof. Might not work too well on the bumper to the connectors' size, though.

Gladhands & Hose Coupler Parts at Trailer Parts Superstore
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 11:53 AM   #6

We use caps on standard air line quick connects all the time. If your looking so standard connection caps check granger I think they are item #20LJ96 catalog page 3124. You can also search propane hose quick disconnect caps they are pretty close to the same size also.

Haven't figured out how to post a link yet.
Nrobert10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 11:57 AM   #7
Site Team

I have an air coupler on the front of my Bronco, and I have a rubber weather cover over it. Even with that, when I don't use it for a while, the coupler mechanism sticks and it takes a lot to get it to work again.

Herb
Old 09-15-2016, 02:49 PM   #8

Thanks everyone. I looked at Mcmaster before I even saw your post Boywonder but surprisingly they don't have any. They have millions, but no weatherproof ones.

Robert, I'll check the Grainger catalog. I should get that catalog anyway.

As for glad hands, they are a unique and reliable connection but they aren't weatherproof. When unhooked they are completely open to the weather.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 03:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
I have an air coupler on the front of my Bronco, and I have a rubber weather cover over it. Even with that, when I don't use it for a while, the coupler mechanism sticks and it takes a lot to get it to work again.
I have had the same problem .

You can eliminate the external female quick connector and replace it with a ball valve and male quick connector .

Open the valve before connecting the hose to purge any debris from the orifice.

Install two female quick connectors (one at each end) to the accessory air hose
that is stored inside out of the weather.
Old 09-15-2016, 06:22 PM   #10

I'm using the rubber tips that go on canes to cover the female half of the quick connect. They come in various sizes so be sure to take a sample of the QC with you. Found mine in Right Aide pharmacy.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote