Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2012, 06:27 PM   #1041

Re: What did you do to your SMB today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInLA
Done and done. Now we can all sleep at night.
Although I'd sleep better if I could see it all tidy and square

Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:09 PM   #1042

My backup camera cabling was routed along side my exhaust and muffler -- which was melting the loom cable protection. Lame. I re-routed and replaced the melted loom. What triggered this work was an occasional glitch from the rear camera (think "bad vertical hold" a la old TV sets). I might still have that problem even after cleaning up a connector on that run. Maybe a bad ground behind the front console? Something for another day.

Our water tank was bugging us. It didn't taste as good as our portable blue water jugs. So I finally ripped out the offending tank and byzantine tubing and replaced it all with simpler parts. Now we can disconnect/connect the a portable water tank (easy to re-fill at any camp ground spigot). We don't have hot water but our old plastic facet had hot&cold inputs and there was a mess of tubing behind the sink. Now we have one simple braided steel supply line to a single metal faucet. I admit I probably let something freeze 'cause I had a slow drip from the byzantine of tubing. With the disconnect I can now quickly clear/drain the system (previously all I could do was put in anti-freeze. ick).

The Fiama awning was rattling a bit. I shimmed the rear bracket. Looks to be fixed.

It was a good down day while on the road (mid-trip). We're all set for a post-xmas loop through j-tree and then meandering back to CO.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:15 AM   #1043

What did you do to your SMB today?

Pritikin - can you post some photos of the simplified system and the tank that you used?
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:44 PM   #1044

Larrie asked for more details on my one-the-road sink repair. What happened was that something was leaking so I was forced into a repair job while traveling. It turns out I missed having on demand water for the sink.

1- This hose bib fitting screwed in where the normal plastic valve for the tank was. The threading on the outside matches a barbed hose valve with barbs so it mates to the plastic tubing really easily. I might add a hose clamp here. This is easy to disconnect and then I can use the tank on a picnic table etc just like it was originally designed for. (Not pictured: The bib is also threaded on the inside and there I added a plastic barbed hose fitting and a foot of the clear tubing which reaches to the bottom of the tank).
2- Cheap "Reliance" blue portable water container we already had for drinking water. 7gallons is less than our previous sink only tank but since we can swap it for a full tank easily enough this works for our style. You can see the dent in this corner though -- so I'll be looking for a better quality tank if I like this solution.
3- Wedged in with my tool kit, jumper cables and whatever else a retaining strap is probably not necessary. But I feel better knowing the cheap tank won't shift. I don't normally look under here often.
4- I used a long stretch of clear hosing for the run to the pump. This kinks easy though so I might grab some braided line or even switch to a braided steel supply line if I see a long one. I wanted to be able to pull the tank out and do the swap on a counter where gravity helps the pump prime itself.
5- from the pump to the fixture I now have a single normal household braided steel supply line. Previously there was a mess of pex pipes and fittings back here. Something in there was what was leaking.
6- This is the old supply inlet for the RV style water tank. I'll think about what to do with this when I get home. If I don't like what I've done on the road I'll put an RV tank back in. If I like how it works then I'm considering using this hole as a good spot for an external shower. With a swappable tank I can put a black tank that has been in the sun under here and have hot water. (Or I can pour a pot of hot water into my water supply to take the chill off it).

Up top I removed the RV style fixture. I think the leak was from one of these barbed fittings but I couldn't tell if the entire thing wasn't broken. I kept this part to test when I get home although the barbs come out at such a stupid angle its really hard to work with w/o lots of cussing. And it requires two supply lines or otherwise blocking one side.... we'll see how well my metal hardware store fixture works instead. I'd like one that sticks out into the sink further but that can wait until I have better shopping options available to me.

Old 12-23-2012, 05:32 PM   #1045

What did you do to your SMB today?

Thanks for the detail and the photos. Have been trying to figure out how to get water working again in my van. The PO stripped out the pump and tank. Your solution looks like the nice and simple. I like the idea of being able to swap out supply tanks.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:15 PM   #1046

very nice! simplicity is the key.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:15 PM   #1047

I got a new cam and exhaust system for my chebby van. a friend had the headers and mufflers from a shortbed pickup that will fit.
I'm not going to say what the total costs were, but it's under $175.00 so far.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:21 PM   #1048

Replaced my Carr super hoop steps with nerf bars. Easy install, bolt on installation, and work great.

They're solid, but definitely not a rock rail substitute if that's what you're looking for.

Here's the link for those interested.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009FN ... hs_product
scottman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:31 PM   #1049

Update:

The rear view camera appears fixed. Watch out for installers who run electrical lines too close to your exhaust system!

I'm liking our new water system. It was much easier to refill outside of Tucson and the flavorLESS tank has gone over well.

We also got to break in our new transfer case and am pleased to report it works well too. I'm going to have to hit up some SMB folks to take me out next summer and teach me what this machine is capable of. I figure we're just scratching the surface. (And we're enjoying the scratching -- and have the new pin stripes to prove it).
Old 12-29-2012, 08:36 PM   #1050

Garage

Installed four 15w LED floodlights with PWM dimmers. Each side has a seperate on/off switch and dimmer.
I also added some expanded aluminum to help fill out the empty spaces, purely aesthetic.

Lowest setting

Highest setting

They look well built but only time will tell. At $40 each it is worth the risk. Plenty bright for my needs.
http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...rk-light/1224/

LED lights require PWM (pulse-width modulation) dimmers in order to work correctly. I took the dimmer apart and only used the internals.
http://www.amazon.com/LEDwholesalers...rds=pwm+dimmer

I'm not happy with the way I installed the switches so I'll be reworking that, not worthy of posting.