Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2008, 08:38 PM   #11

Send a message via MSN to Velogeo
Why no power?

Old 03-10-2008, 08:59 PM   #12
CJ

Send a message via Yahoo to CJ
Pictures Pictures........... Pictures...... .....please

Old 03-10-2008, 09:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velogeo
Why no power?
Hmmm, thought I had a thread in electronics... no wonder I have no responses, I can't find my thread... I'll post another one.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:29 PM   #14

A picture
Old 03-10-2008, 11:03 PM   #15

Van projects

I started to move all my switches, from the lower left knee panel to the ceiling shelf. Its going to be alot of work.( they bug me down low). I also washed and waxed the van. Also alot of work.

Jeff
Old 03-11-2008, 10:40 AM   #16
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL
This weekend we worked on the Winch (again).

Mainly to hook it up to the battery with the quick connects
But the Winch was shorting out on the frame and we found out the hard way by it cooking the brake lines! It was the easiest path the the short could make: winch chassis to the bumper to frame, from frame to the steering body line touching the brake lines (the short was trying to make it back to the battery)..
Not Good.

Didn't seem to completely damage the brake lines where they split to front and rear but it got red hot and real smelly! I thought it was frying the fuse box (right below brake lines)!

So the bottom line was the Winch from Harbor Freight wasn't exactly working well since it short's itself when it changes polarity when the motors reverse! Real deceptive.. since it was working reversing and shorting at the same time. Not Good.

We even removed my known good Warn Winch from my Landcruiser thinking it would fit and we did confirm that it didn't exhibit the same weird voltage reversal from it's chassis ground. Warn Winch Good. Cabling in Sporto; Good.

After removing The Warn 9000TI we found out it didn't fit. The bolt patterns were the same but the left and right dimensions were too long on the left side (for a 12000 or 16000 Winch)
At least we find out that the Harbor Freight Winch was NUTS! with it's reverse polarity issue off it's chassis! It worked witht the Warn so the cabling was good.

So, I'm now shopping for a Warn or Superwinch 10000 and up.. at least with the common larger bolt pattern.

Things I learned and to remember:
Always check if the winch your putting in doesn't have any type of voltage or reverse polarity action happening from the winch chassis itself!

Even Bolt patterns for popular Winch's at 10 x 4.5 doesn't mean it will fit! (Double confirm dimensions)

Winches without the steel lines are actually quite easy to haul around, about the weight of a heavy dumbell.

Brake lines can really cook up good(short) without breaking!
Stay away from Harbor Freight 10K Winches even if it's dirt cheap.
Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 11:14 AM   #17

I put a MileMarker 12K on my Jeep and I've been happy with it. Slow and sucks a lot of power, but the quality is good.

Today I hooked my powerless van to shore power and to the F250 with jumper cables. Managed to get the odometer to show up but that's all. Probably going to trickle charge and see if that gets me up to startability.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:56 AM   #18

How many batts do you have? Also, do you have an emergency start switch? Nice feature that.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:35 PM   #19
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL
Quote:
Originally Posted by deminimis
How many batts do you have? Also, do you have an emergency start switch? Nice feature that.
I think you were asking Jage..

This is what I have:

I've got two Optimas (Marine) Blue Top and Yellow Top in front (Beware, there are two versions of the Blue Tops), get the real ones if you want em'.
They are connected via a hellroaring battery isolator /combiner:
http://www.hellroaring.com/bic75300.php

Hellroaring lets you keep one for backup or combine them for the winch or combine them to start up if the first one is dead..

For the house battery, it's a AGM 8D8D Battery
Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 05:45 PM   #20

Send a message via ICQ to stiggs Send a message via AIM to stiggs
Just back into town and haven't gotten a chance to even drive my SMB much parked and plugged it in at my storage and took my T-Bird for a spin. Guess I should swap them back out and get back to work on some sort of entertainment system.