Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2016, 06:56 AM   #2031
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Wasn't today, but I guess I'll try to play catch up. On our recent trip to Powell, noticed an oil leak, significant enough, but I topped it off and felt comfortable enough to make a trip out of heading home through southern Utah. Made it home and it turned out to be the HPOP, while I was at it, I had the shop check the non functioning e-brake, they recommended a full brake job in the rear due to the fact the rotors were in pretty rough shape and all rusted and rutted out. I agreed since they haven't been serviced since I've owned the van and it would give me back my e-brake too. Well, at least I've got new rear brakes, and no more leak, e-brake on the other hand is still not holding. They tightened the cable, but it may be I need to replace it cause it's all stretched out. Any other suggestions?
Oh, and the sound system is getting a refresh too. New Kenwood nav with CarPlay, new amp and sub, exciting!

CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 06:57 AM   #2032

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyrat View Post
but hope to get it back in convenience and hopefully a longer life on the Lifeline battery I installed earlier this summer.

Yes, when properly set up the solar controller is a smart charger.....BTW wouldn't hurt to check the absorption and float voltage settings in your controller and make sure that they match the battery specs......that will keep the battery healthy and happy.
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 07:06 AM   #2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF View Post
Wasn't today, but I guess I'll try to play catch up. On our recent trip to Powell, noticed an oil leak, significant enough, but I topped it off and felt comfortable enough to make a trip out of heading home through southern Utah. Made it home and it turned out to be the HPOP, while I was at it, I had the shop check the non functioning e-brake, they recommended a full brake job in the rear due to the fact the rotors were in pretty rough shape and all rusted and rutted out. I agreed since they haven't been serviced since I've owned the van and it would give me back my e-brake too. Well, at least I've got new rear brakes, and no more leak, e-brake on the other hand is still not holding. They tightened the cable, but it may be I need to replace it cause it's all stretched out. Any other suggestions?
Oh, and the sound system is getting a refresh too. New Kenwood nav with CarPlay, new amp and sub, exciting!

Which Kenwood model are you looking at? I am in the process of assembling my system too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2002 LX470 expo ready
2008 Ford E350 EB V10 4x4 Sportsmobile PH top
Custom off road trailer
Tienckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 07:22 AM   #2034

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
Any reason that you went with another isolator rather than a separator?

...just curious....
Previous solator has worked fine for us, lasted 12 years, cost about $50. Our Chev. alternator uses a voltage sensor to sense engine battery voltage so we do not see a significant voltage drop with the isolator diodes. Have had to jump engine battery 2 maybe 3 time in the 16 years we have had the van so do not see any need for a dead battery start button feature.

Very nice 2012 sportsmobile forum review of isolators and separators:

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ches-7991.html

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 12:13 PM   #2035
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Excelon DNX693S, built in nav and CarPlay+volume knob
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 12:53 PM   #2036

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
Yes, when properly set up the solar controller is a smart charger.....BTW wouldn't hurt to check the absorption and float voltage settings in your controller and make sure that they match the battery specs......that will keep the battery healthy and happy.
It is set to the AGM setting, I have a Lifeline AGM 4D. I will be reading the controller manual later today.
2000 4Runner Limited 4WD

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
skyrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 03:41 PM   #2037

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF View Post
Excelon DNX693S, built in nav and CarPlay+volume knob

Nice, I have been waiting for a long time for a right vehicle to go balls out on a nice system.

Been waiting for the release of Kenwood DNX893s and it is finally out.

My plan is:

One 12" sub and 2 8" sub

Two sets of 6 1/2" components in the front.

Two sets of 6 1/2" for rear

One alpine pdx 4.100
One alpine pdx 4.100 + 500 watt sub
One alpine pdx 1.600 mono

The tough part is sacrificing some storage space for the subs.

I won't have to worry about road noise for a long time.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2002 LX470 expo ready
2008 Ford E350 EB V10 4x4 Sportsmobile PH top
Custom off road trailer
Tienckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:58 PM   #2038

Thumbs up

Finally took the aging 3M hood wrap off the van.
We won't be going down that mod-road again...or at least that is the thought at this point. I've got full details _at this post_, summary?...it was a PITA to remove 6 years after install. Good news is the hood looks factory fresh!

: ) Thom
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 07:48 PM   #2039

Functional, and unobtrusive

It may not be much to look at, but my creation does the job of holding the Max Trax. Besides, I made it black, and it's obscured from view against the shady solar panel and behind the tracks.
Max Trax makes (made?) a bracket, but the shipping from Australia was more than the cost of the product (which wasn't inexpensive, in the first place). So I made my own. If only I had welding tools...
It's up HIGH, where I can reach it while standing on the tire, and hopefully out of reach of most.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9126.jpg   IMG_9130.jpg  
Old 07-26-2016, 11:05 PM   #2040

Not much, but I did figure out that I have a poor man's built-in "door talon" for the left rear door. Wouldn't trust it in high winds, but it works...

ETA: This door has the no-longer-used spare tire carrier so it only opens 80% of the way and always used to hit someone in the head.
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote