Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2017, 10:36 PM   #2291

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
Did I promise pictures? Crap. I still have to modify the bushwhackers and reinstall those, but I haven't got around to that
Done!

rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:29 AM   #2292

I dropped my spare tire which is still located under the van (its an Ambo) and inspected it. Promptly ordered a new rim and tire to replace the old one due to rust and cracking of the tire. Hopefully getting it back together tomorrow.

I also installed my new fridge and did some wiring to my house battery.

Been putting as many miles as I can on it recently. Just replaced my injector o-rings, valve cover gaskets, harness, glow plugs, and some other odd bits. Trying to make sure she is good to go this spring.
Gtbensley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:25 PM   #2293

Well, the brakes have been squeaking for far too long. Beginning to get concerned that maybe it was time for new pads, but had a suspicion that it was just a lot of dust from the previous owner probably riding 'em too much - besides, there's not enough miles to warrant pad replacement yet. Recently, the van started pulling right. Uh oh. So last weekend I took the opportunity to swap out the new-never-been-on-pavement spare for the front right tire. While I had the wheel off, I blasted out the brake pads with compressed air (LOTS of dust), and wiggled all of the retainers to ensure they weren't rusted or corroded in place. They were stuck, alright. Tire on, finally drove it today - squeak (from the front right) is gone, AND it doesn't pull right when braking! Nothing more rewarding that a wee bit of elbow grease, inspection, problem solving, and finding a solution to the problem that didn't cost $$$! Front left has a little squeal still - I think this weekend I'll pull it, give the retainers a wiggle to break free, a blast of air, and hope that I have the same incredible results! One thing that I've realized while driving on trails is that the 6.0 PSD doesn't have much hold-back pressure for this ~9,000# rig, which leads to lots of brake use. The lesson I've learned is to use the LOW gear range even when it seems a bit unnecessary.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:05 PM   #2294

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVerhulst View Post
Beginning to get concerned that maybe it was time for new pads, but had a suspicion that it was just a lot of dust from the previous owner probably riding 'em too much - besides, there's not enough miles to warrant pad replacement yet. .
I reciently found that miles are a poor indicator of pad life. As you found, rust and corrosion can freeze up the caliper. In my case, that wore out one pad, while the other was nearly new. It sounds like you got to the problem prior to that happening, congratulations. It was an expensive lession for me, and I'll pay close attention from now on.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 10:08 PM   #2295

Garage
Finally put in a ScanGauge!
Attached Thumbnails
2017-04-22 20.53.30.jpg  
Ready to Rumble!
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 09:50 AM   #2296

Installed new harmonic balancer (aka crank pulley), 'cause the old one fell off! While I had the fan and stuff off I figured I might as well put in a new water pump, thermostat, and upper radiator hose in as preventative maintenance. Before I put it back together I'm trying to decide whether to do the lower radiator hose assembly as PM, too. But it looks like a serious PITA to do... it's like an octopus!
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 05:02 PM   #2297

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
Installed new harmonic balancer (aka crank pulley), 'cause the old one fell off! While I had the fan and stuff off I figured I might as well put in a new water pump, thermostat, and upper radiator hose in as preventative maintenance. Before I put it back together I'm trying to decide whether to do the lower radiator hose assembly as PM, too. But it looks like a serious PITA to do... it's like an octopus!
You mean the two hoses, one that is a really short elbow? I'd replace the main one. It's pretty easy. The elbow is indeed a PITA. I've done it twice and hope to never do it again.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 07:57 PM   #2298

Nerded up the van with some wheel covers. After a tire blowout at speed I guess it's smart to keep them covered in the CA sun. Can't hurt I guess. I also installed the new driver's side rear Bushwacker flare the tire blowout took with it.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:28 PM   #2299

After a few weeks, got around to pulling the drivers' front tire off and working the brake caliper loose. It was seized, no surprise. Hopefully the braking performance of the vehicle improves significantly! (I assume it will... not that I thought it was terrible).

While I had the wheel off, I said to myself: "Self, those quick-disconnect sway bar linkages look like they've never been removed since the day they were installed. I wonder how hard it's going to be to pull them apart when I'm about to crawl through a rock garden. I should try now." Some hours later, (most of) the seized parts are broken loose, degreased and wire-brushed, lightly lubricated, and reassembled with new retaining pins. Unfortunately, one of the steel sleeves inside a bushing decided to remain more attached to the spindle of the sway bar than the rubber of the bushing. Well, everything's broken loose for now, no small feat (that require two with hammers, pry-bars, and liquid-wrench). I'll have to put heat (and more anti-seize) to that sleeve (and buy a new bushing) before I can declare it a job done well. For now, at least I can disconnect the disconnectors.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9582.jpg  
Old 05-01-2017, 06:44 AM   #2300
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVerhulst View Post
..., I said to myself: "Self, those quick-disconnect sway bar linkages look like they've never been removed since the day they were installed. I wonder how hard it's going to be to pull them apart when I'm about to crawl through a rock garden. I should try now."...
Smart thinking Brian. I think many of us have been burned by discovering some key component isn't working when on the trail (for me it's been hubs that won't engage). FAR easier to fix things in a driveway instead of having pointy rocks digging into your back when you're stuck on the trail.

Herb