Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2020, 01:24 PM   #3011

Garage
WeatherTeck air deflector had been rubbing the paint from the hood - seems its nimble enough to bend back and make contact - Solution was some self adhesive rubber weather stripping I purchased off of Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/M-D-Building-...557376&sr=8-39) ...A one beer job, but satisfying none the less.

Old 06-07-2020, 04:49 PM   #3012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
WeatherTeck air deflector had been rubbing the paint from the hood - seems its nimble enough to bend back and make contact - Solution was some self adhesive rubber weather stripping I purchased off of Amazon
I wonder if dirt and grit stuck to the weather stripping will wear the paint even more? It will probably depend on how hard it rubs on the hood, but it's worth keeping an eye on. I once had a bra on the front of a car and it wore the paint down to bare metal in places due to the dirt.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 05:13 PM   #3013

Garage
Arctic, Good point.
Think I'm still better off with soft rubber than hard plastic bouncing against the hood - The hard plastic has already proven a nuisance to the paint. I'll keep an eye on it none the less.
Old 06-07-2020, 06:03 PM   #3014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
Arctic, Good point.
Think I'm still better off with soft rubber than hard plastic bouncing against the hood - The hard plastic has already proven a nuisance to the paint. I'll keep an eye on it none the less.
Maybe you should look for some kind of clear tape to put on the hood itself to act as sacrificial material.
DesertSMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 11:05 PM   #3015

Mine did the same so I put some little self adhesive rubber dots I got at Home depot on the hood to cushion the air deflector... works great.
2003 EB30 - Sold
bigriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 12:21 PM   #3016

Garage
Didn't actually do anything to the SMB, but I did get an app for my iPhone. I'm probably late to the party when it comes to this, but I figured instead of purchasing a level I'd just install one on my Phone and then put the phone on the floor when needing to level the van. This particular app comes with a gyroscope as well, so does anyone know if SMB tested our vans for roll over on a "tilt bed" and at what angle did they tend to roll?
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot 2020-06-14 at 11.52.21 AM.png.jpg   Screenshot 2020-06-14 at 11.53.49 AM.png.jpg  
Old 06-14-2020, 12:53 PM   #3017

Garage
I'm not sure what the rollover tilt would be, and think that would be nice to know, yet we bought an old school Clinometer ‘Rugged Ridge,’ and mounted it between the visors. Tried a phone based Clinometer, yet it sucked, and I didn't want to tie up the phone with one more thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
Didn't actually do anything to the SMB, but I did get an app for my iPhone. I'm probably late to the party when it comes to this, but I figured instead of purchasing a level I'd just install one on my Phone and then put the phone on the floor when needing to level the van. This particular app comes with a gyroscope as well, so does anyone know if SMB tested our vans for roll over on a "tilt bed" and at what angle did they tend to roll?
Attached Thumbnails
Clinometer.jpg  
Fool120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 07:40 PM   #3018

Garage
I think there are too many variables to have a one size, or rather, tilt fits all. People load their vehicles differently, my fixed hard top is probably more prone to tipping and a full fuel tank would lower the center of gravity compared with one that is nearing empty. You might have to just depend on whether your fingers are leaving impressions on the steering wheel or your butt is clinching the seat.
_______
Roger
wanderers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 07:52 PM   #3019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
does anyone know if SMB tested our vans for roll over on a "tilt bed" and at what angle did they tend to roll?
Here's an old thread addressing that question If you want to get right to the definitive answer, scroll down to post 36. Chris Ridgway probably has more experience with this than the rest of us combined.

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ver-15195.html
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 09:16 PM   #3020

It wasn't in a day, but I took all the old SMB cabinets to the dump.

I made the replacements out of Okoume marine plywood. It has a great strength to weight ratio, and looks good. Still a few little things to do but it is coming along nicely.

greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote