Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2020, 03:19 PM   #3061

Garage
Must be getting older - keep looking for solutions to make my life easier, and in retrospect much of it is just kind of needless in that the result only replaces a process that really wasn't a burden - OK, it just makes me feel like I've accomplished something....guess that in-itself is something!
Started out looking for a way to carry our river tubes down to the water without having them already blown up (easier to carry tubes on the e-bikes when they aren't inflated). Solution was to use a PowerTank mini. Just put one canister on the rear bike bag and blow tubes up at the waters edge. Used mole board to hang them on while stored in the Van. Easily removed since it has two hooks at the top and a trough it sets in at the bottom - access to the storage drawer behind remains quick and easy. PowerTank's also come in handy to air up mattresses, tires, blow dirt off, etc. (obviously I'm still trying to validate this project since I also have an ExtremeAir compressor & holding tank)

Old 08-22-2020, 08:51 PM   #3062

Replaced aftermarket brand extendable tow mirrors with OEM units. Got some very nice used ones from an eBay seller. As suggested from members here, the OEM mirrors are way better... possibly 1000% better even.

No more earthquakes in my rear view, and goodbye earplug-stabilizers
Old 08-23-2020, 01:12 AM   #3063

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyNuke View Post
Nah, I wish. But the 55 watt HID setup sure is a joy compared to rough oem lights.Attachment 33436
Man those look nice. Are they Vantage Optics?
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 02:10 PM   #3064

Great idea with the Power Tanks!
Old 08-23-2020, 08:32 PM   #3065

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoTerryh View Post
I finally bit the bullet and installed a Thule Hullivator. Before, it was two person job to load my kayak. Now loading is manageable solo. I took it on it's maiden voyage today and it will definitely make getting out on the water easier!
Thanks for the pix, looks great. Helps to see how far down it’ll get. I’ve considered this for my poptop but unsure if it would be doable. How far off the ground is the cradle in the bottom position?
Old 08-31-2020, 02:19 PM   #3066

Cured the squeak in the MaxxFan by blowing out the graphite powder from the worn brushes. The squeaking has been getting louder over the last year. It didn't bother me much as I'm used to sleeping to the sounds of blowers, squeaks, and compressors cycling but Mrs ShuttlePilot would have gone off the edge if she heard this all night long. Pretty easy job and course there is a Youtube video for it.

- Eric

ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 09:25 PM   #3067

Garage
Cool, thanks!
Old 08-31-2020, 10:22 PM   #3068

Thanks Eric! Impeccable timing--ours just started a light squeak at low speeds this weekend. Cleaning it alone didn't cure the squeak, so I popped out the bearings and added a light lube. Nice and silent again!
Old 09-20-2020, 02:28 PM   #3069

Garage
Have owned my Van for approximately 5 years now. Bought it out of California with no rust, and was determined to keep it that way in spite of being on the East Coast. Unable to find a shop to take on the project anywhere close by, I started using this "WD-40 Long-Term CORROSION INHIBITOR" back in Sept 2015 (claimed it last for about a year). Just sprayed the entire undercarriage with it again today (use 6 bottles total each year)...and still have NO RUST.
***Sharing since this product lives up to its claims & has worked great for me these last 5 years, so may prove beneficial to others.
Old 09-20-2020, 04:51 PM   #3070

Garage
6.0L 2007 RB50. After over a year of noticing reduced power on steep hills and then increasing coolant temps I finally had it analyzed after having the P0299 showing for the past few months. My turbo ring was stuck even though the turbo was replaced two years ago. Turbo removed, cleaned, replaced. And the fan clutch spring/unit was replaced because it was not providing enough fan rpm to maintain a lower operating temperature. I thought the low power lugging up hills caused the temp increase, but I'm now told they are two separate issues. I also replaced the ScanGauge with an Edge CTS-3 which provides tons more data and easily seen. I'm heading out for a long trip through Utah and Colorado next week and hope this stuff all works! Nice to have my boost back.