Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2020, 10:31 PM   #3091

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffff View Post
Glad you solved that problem, but I'm a bit curious why your J-hooks rattle in the first place...(?)

I keep mine screw-adjusted so tight that they never rattle. Am I doing it wrong?

-- Geoff
Ours are tight until we load the kayaks on the roof... then the rattle. The rubber grommets do the trick after years of velcro straps... the most obvious remedy yet never occurred to me. Good stuff!

2003 EB30 - Sold
bigriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 10:08 AM   #3092

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffff View Post
Glad you solved that problem, but I'm a bit curious why your J-hooks rattle in the first place...(?)

I keep mine screw-adjusted so tight that they never rattle. Am I doing it wrong?
-- Geoff

...I don't cinch them down super tight because I'm concerned that I'll crack the roof sheet metal in the corners.

.....and it also seems the for the front ones when one is snug the other rattles.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 12:26 PM   #3093

Garage
My "Holiday Elf" has presented me a travel addition that clarifies the need for such machines - although not mechanical, a fix, or repair in nature, it does dress-up the rig and underscores the motivation to turn the key and go...
(Light weight & waterproof embroidered sports jacket)
Old 12-29-2020, 01:13 PM   #3094

Garage
anyone who hasn't tuned their FICM should probably do it
uploaded a PHP atlas 80 FICM tune and took it for a test drive around the neighborhood.
much improved part throttle response and similar egt's to before the tune.
need to get on the road to put some miles on the van as well as see how warmer ambient temps (summer) affect egt's.
we're also waiting for gearhead to email tunes to replace what the shop originally installed.
Old 12-29-2020, 01:44 PM   #3095

Quote:
Originally Posted by unreng View Post
anyone who hasn't tuned their FICM should probably do it
uploaded a PHP atlas 80 FICM tune and took it for a test drive around the neighborhood.
much improved part throttle response and similar egt's to before the tune.
need to get on the road to put some miles on the van as well as see how warmer ambient temps (summer) affect egt's.
we're also waiting for gearhead to email tunes to replace what the shop originally installed.

I'll be interested in how that goes. FICM tunes do increase EGTs especially the 80. They increase the length of the burn but the upside is they don't increase cylinder pressure. I run the Atlas40 and do like the increase in throttle response but could not get any of the Gearhead tunes to play nice. Too smokey and even with two revisions couldn't get the shifting right.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 04:37 PM   #3096

Garage
GH informed us that they only provide the "8k tow" and "8k tow with fuel" tunes for econolines (the website doesn't say this ), so it's back to researching for tunes.
Found blessedperformance, innovative diesel and quicktricks...and leaning toward blessedperformance at the moment.
The atlas 80 did raise temps maybe 30-40 degrees?? for a freeway onramp that we use for testing WOT...may need to datalog with the x4 for each tune!?!

And for "what did you do to your smb today?"
Removed the gear oil from the D60 front and rear axles.
Added 1/8 npt magnetic drain plugs to each cover (one tough SOB) https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ssy-50-8334
Reinstalled the covers with LubeLocker gaskets https://www.lubelocker.com/collections/all
Will add the amsoil 75w-140 oil tonight.
Bought parts to replace the breather vents.

Replumbed the DIY coolant filter after testing the coolant...we found little black specs when collecting fluid from the radiator drain.
Changed the coolant tank because the original was coated with orangish sludge.
Replaced worm gear clamps with OEM spring clamps
Old 01-04-2021, 07:52 PM   #3097

Quote:
Originally Posted by unreng View Post
GH informed us that they only provide the "8k tow" and "8k tow with fuel" tunes for econolines (the website doesn't say this ), so it's back to researching for tunes.
Found blessedperformance, innovative diesel and quicktricks...and leaning toward blessedperformance at the moment.
The atlas 80 did raise temps maybe 30-40 degrees?? for a freeway onramp that we use for testing WOT...may need to datalog with the x4 for each tune!?!

And for "what did you do to your smb today?"
Removed the gear oil from the D60 front and rear axles.
Added 1/8 npt magnetic drain plugs to each cover (one tough SOB) https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ssy-50-8334
Reinstalled the covers with LubeLocker gaskets https://www.lubelocker.com/collections/all
Will add the amsoil 75w-140 oil tonight.
Bought parts to replace the breather vents.

Replumbed the DIY coolant filter after testing the coolant...we found little black specs when collecting fluid from the radiator drain.
Changed the coolant tank because the original was coated with orangish sludge.
Replaced worm gear clamps with OEM spring clamps

It was the SLR tune from Gearhead that skewed the shift points for given pedal input. I had much better luck with tunes from Innovative stacked nicely with the PHP FICM tunes. I ended up with the 80HP daily driver from PHP but I will occasionally still run Innovative's 65hp tow tune.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 03:15 PM   #3098

Added some pull-out drawers to the cabinet by the sink today. Very happy with how it turned out, will make it much easier to access the whole shelf now.
Attached Thumbnails
drawer in 75%.jpg   drawer out 75% .jpg  
Old 01-08-2021, 04:32 PM   #3099

Garage
Installed the Icom 2730A HAM radio under the passenger seat and moved the GMRS radio there too. Didn't really like it under the cupholder where I installed it originally.

I used a Pro Clip mount to hold the head unit for the HAM and ran a mic extension to the cupholder for the GMRS. I haven't installed a mic holder for the HAM yet.

It's pretty incognito when the head unit and the mics are removed.

Both antennas are on Rago mounts which attach to the VanCompass ditch light brackets.

2016 4wd 144" Sportsmobile Sprinter
2019 Chevy Colorado ZR2
2002 lifted & armored WRX wagon (sold)
velo47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 09:08 PM   #3100

Nice job Matt^^^^!