Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2022, 07:59 AM   #3301
Site Team

Now, do you have a second doghouse cover for when you aren't using the AC, or do you have a way to block off the opening?

Herb

Old 06-28-2022, 08:12 AM   #3302

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
Now, do you have a second doghouse cover for when you aren't using the AC, or do you have a way to block off the opening?

Herb
Yep. I made a little cover that fits in to the connector piece that came with the A/C unit. I put some 1/4" felt pieces on it to hold it tight against the doghouse, and then I re-applied the insulation piece to the back side.

gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 07:05 PM   #3303

Sway Bar Disconnect Anchor

My SMB has the removable sway bar links. While those are very useful I've always found it odd that they didn't provide some place to attach the disconnected sway bar. I didn't like the idea of just letting it sit on whatever it would land on. In the past I've used some black bungees to hold it up but found that rather unsatisfying. I have eyed the oval opening in the frame just behind where the front shackle mounting was welded on. So I made the bracket which fits in that hole with a piece which rotates 90 degrees and locks onto it and clamps it in place. I haven't tried it out yet.

Also, I've thought it would be nice to have an air compressor port in the back of the van as well as the front. I checked on my air tank and there was an unused port and so I purchased a Viair air port relocation kit for about $20 an ran to just inside the top right of the opening on the Aluminess bumper. This combined with the two tire SpeedFlate rapid refill should make it much easier to deflate and particularly reinflate the tires off road. I tend to not do that since it has been kind of a pain to reinflate. We tun different pressure front and rear so a two tire kit was just fine.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0028.JPG   IMG_0022.JPG   IMG_0027.JPG   IMG_0029.JPG   IMG_0030.JPG  

IMG_0031.JPG  
DesertSMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 01:36 PM   #3304

Shovel/axe mount and bigger bump stops
Attached Thumbnails
shovel.jpg   bump stop.jpg  
loper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 03:02 PM   #3305

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSMB View Post
My SMB has the removable sway bar links. While those are very useful I've always found it odd that they didn't provide some place to attach the disconnected sway bar. I didn't like the idea of just letting it sit on whatever it would land on. In the past I've used some black bungees to hold it up but found that rather unsatisfying. I have eyed the oval opening in the frame just behind where the front shackle mounting was welded on. So I made the bracket which fits in that hole with a piece which rotates 90 degrees and locks onto it and clamps it in place. I haven't tried it out yet.

Also, I've thought it would be nice to have an air compressor port in the back of the van as well as the front. I checked on my air tank and there was an unused port and so I purchased a Viair air port relocation kit for about $20 an ran to just inside the top right of the opening on the Aluminess bumper. This combined with the two tire SpeedFlate rapid refill should make it much easier to deflate and particularly reinflate the tires off road. I tend to not do that since it has been kind of a pain to reinflate. We tun different pressure front and rear so a two tire kit was just fine.
Nicely done! Different design than my approach but same resulting convenience. I've been on a few 4wd trips since fab'ing mine and it works great.

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 02:38 PM   #3306

No pictures yet but converted an old butcher block into the table for the van. The factory table was too wide and too long for the shorter dinette. Got to pull out all the moves including jigsawing curved corners, orbital sanding everything smooth and uniform and roundover routing both sides for smooth edges. Huge improvement over factory. Smaller and lighter too. And still fits factory storage slot with snap. Finished with boiled linseed oil. Baked in California sun and it's dry as a bone and very well protected.

Also replaced 4 speakers recently. Used boat speakers since they can handle weather. 3 of the 4 speakers were wrong polarity using factory wiring. Now wiring and speaker polarity are all in synch. It sounds slightly better but it's great to know that everything is rowing the same direction and not out of phase.
SMB123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 02:25 PM   #3307

Garage
Finally got around to applying SMB graphics to the van. Took me a couple of years to decide not to apply bed-liner to the rockers.
Attached Thumbnails
86214A63-5E1C-472C-8518-59195E2B786B.jpg   BBEBD842-67F3-4F54-878F-0C0240632E66.jpg   F496415B-1D65-4B58-A334-AD199AE0E01C.jpg  
Old 07-07-2022, 11:13 PM   #3308

Stickers look good!
E-350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 02:17 PM   #3309

Garage
Noticed my LP/CO Alarm wasn't going off when I sprayed an aerosol over my floor carpet - in the past this always set off my alarm. After 5 years of use it should start to chirp letting you know its reached end-of-life. Concerned, I replaced it, let it set for about 1/2 hour to fully arm itself and then sprayed a small section on the carpet again - sure enough it went off. The old one had 7-2017 stamped on the back, little concerning it never sounded off to let me know it needed replacing - consider yourself forewarned.

Old 07-14-2022, 01:37 AM   #3310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
Finally got around to applying SMB graphics to the van. Took me a couple of years to decide not to apply bed-liner to the rockers.
Steve, were you able to get the stickers direct from Sportsmobile Austin? I'm thinking of repainting the rockers on my Sportsmobile.
MauiSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote