Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2022, 02:36 PM   #3321

Nice job! You spray it everywhere or cover certain areas?

Side note:
Not sure where that comes from, but being German I promise you we would at least have a ratio of 1:1!!! [emoji23]

E-350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 02:39 PM   #3322

Just finished my prep for the body shop tomorrow! Lots of sand paper, wire brushes, 1/2 gallon Acteone, unknown number of Sierra Hazy and Coors [emoji23]

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2108.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	44902

Name:	IMG_2101.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	44903

Name:	IMG_2104.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	44904
E-350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 02:51 PM   #3323

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-350 View Post
Nice job! You spray it everywhere or cover certain areas?

Side note:
Not sure where that comes from, but being German I promise you we would at least have a ratio of 1:1!!! [emoji23]
That kind of 'ratio' I would never finish! Or just end out doing a lousy job

I spray everything metal (Except exhaust) - also use a rag soaked with the stuff to spread it around & get into areas I'm unable to spray. I'm also careful to cover the rotors and calipers to guard against any overspray, and avoid any rubber hoses.
Very effective in keeping tools, shovel & axe, high lift jack & Hummer jack, etc from rusting - It does have an odor for a couple weeks, so I don't recommend using it inside.

After several weeks the shininess tones down to more of a satin look.

EDIT: In addition, I do use 303 Salt Neutralizing Wash Boost after going to the beach, and after I've been driving winter roads which have been treated (when possible).
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1
Old 07-25-2022, 04:13 PM   #3324

We have found that we don’t use our Fiamma awning very much since it is kind of a pain to set up requiring two people to open up easily. Also, if the doors are open, one really needs to close them. We have been looking at the new crop of 270 and 180 degree awnings. We came to the conclusion that a 270 degree awning wouldn’t work but found the Overland Vehicle Systems Nomad 180 to be a good choice. I knew that mounting it would take a bit of engineering and fabrication. It came with mounting brackets but they were intended for use on a roof rack. Since we have a fixed Cruiser top on our van they would be of no use. The first thing I did before anything else was to look very carefully at the new awning to come up with a plan. Fortunately, I am a structural engineer and have quite a bit of fabrication experience. I took the original Fiamma awning off and assessed what of the original mounting brackets could be used. I determined that the brackets aft of the barn doors could be used but the bracket at the B pillar would be of no use since the installed length of the new awning is shorter than the Fiamma. I determined that I would need a mount at about the middle of the forward barn door. The 1st photo shows this bracket. I made this out of two 2 inch long pieces of 1x1x1/8 angle and a piece of 2x1/8 steel plate. I used two ¼ inch rivet nuts mounted just below the rain gutter to attach the bottom. The door weather seal touches here but the low-profile flange head bolts I used should allow for the seal to be maintained. I also fabricated a piece bolted a piece which is bolted to this bracket to go into the rain gutter. This area looks to be strong because of the complex shape. The new awning puts more of a demand on the mounts since it is designed to be totally cantilevered off of the mounts and thus puts a bending moment on the mounts. Fortunately, we have the fixed top which allowed me to make use of it as an upper attachment point. The 2nd photo shows the three brackets to which the awning would attach. They are made from 2 ½ x 3/8 inch plate and have a 5/16 counter sunk hole to attach them to the 2 existing and 1 new bracket. They each have two /16-18 threaded holes to attach the awning. They have attachment points made from 1x1/8 steel flat stock to attach to the fixed top with the included backing plates. The 3rd through 5th photos show the brackets in place on the van. The 6th photo shows the awning in place packed away. The 7th through the 10th photos show it open from various vantage points. The new awning doesn’t stick out as far but covers the entire length of the van. There are optional legs two of which are mounted to the arms and the end ones come in a bag. They provided tie down lines and stakes for the situation where there might be more wind. The new awning sets up very quickly and better yet puts away just as fast.

I will be selling the Fiamma so have a look on the classified if interested.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0001.JPG   IMG_0002.JPG   IMG_0003.JPG   IMG_0004.JPG   IMG_0005.JPG  

IMG_0006.JPG   IMG_0012.JPG   IMG_0013.JPG   IMG_0014.JPG   IMG_0015.JPG  

DesertSMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 08:03 PM   #3325

DesertSMB, that looks like a great option with more coverage. That's the direction we would like to head. However, we have a CCV top that raises and we can't attach to it, so I have to try and figure out how to make that work with using the gutter clamp system
Conversion in process. Lol
Denver, CO
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 09:08 PM   #3326

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilnuts2 View Post
DesertSMB, that looks like a great option with more coverage. That's the direction we would like to head. However, we have a CCV top that raises and we can't attach to it, so I have to try and figure out how to make that work with using the gutter clamp system

Lilnuts2,

AluCab has a 180 degree awning that works a bit differently than the OVS Nomad I purchased. Mine has a total of four arms, two at each end. The AluCab has three arms all at one end. With mine one of the arms at each end opens out so that they are parallel with the mounting. The other two point straight out from the van. With the AluCab one of the arms swings out so that it is parallel with the mount and the other two end up being at about a 45 degree angle on either side of straight out from the pivot. I looked at the AluCab but the delivery time was longer than I wanted to wait. They sell it either as a driver side (left) or passenger side (right). It can be a bit confusing with them because they are made in South Africa where they drive on the left side of the road and are right hand drive. So a driver side in the US is a passenger side there. Their normal assumption is that the awning will be mounted with the pivots on the arms to the rear and it would open to the rear. I see no reason why one couldn’t mount it the other way. Then you would use a driver side (left) awning on the right-hand side and have it open to the front of the vehicle. That way you might be able to mount it behind the barn doors and it would open to be over the side doors. You might need to go down onto the body a bit to get enough meat to attach to. If the inside of the van is already finished this could be tricky since you would probably want to put in some backing plates. I have a 3D AutoCad van overall shape drawing which I used to figure out how things would work out. I included the AluCab awning in that drawing and just took a look at it now. My idea of mounting it totally behind the side doors looks like it would work. It actually ends up giving a similar shade pattern to mine. The other down side is that the AluCab is more expensive. Mine was about $700 and the AluCab is about $1400. In the US it can be bought at ok4wd.com. If you would like to discuss ideas, feel free to PM me.
DesertSMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 09:23 PM   #3327

Mounting the 270 on the fixed top w the brackets also attached to the fixed top structure works well. Any mods to the bung nuts used to attach the lower point of the brackets?

It would be a real challenge to to do the same with either a SMB or CCV pop top and there is no way a legless awning is working off just the gutters and side of the van.

I am interested in knowing why two people would be required to deploy an F45S. I can deploy ours single handed in well under a minute. Plus I can put it out whatever amount up to 8ft.

I very much get the attractiveness of the 180/270 and with a stock roof or fixed top I can see that application. On a pop top van it is a much, much harder mounting challenge. Also, the mounting solution mid cargo doors without the tie in to the stock roof (now covered by the pop top) is not going to provide a lot of (if any) support.
Old 07-30-2022, 06:39 PM   #3328

Cleaned and lubed the penthouse mechanism.

gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 06:50 PM   #3329

We lost a hubcap two weeks ago So Intook the opportunity to try out a new look. I found some NOS hubcaps and slapped them on today. I dig it.
Before.
triley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 07:18 PM   #3330

Bolted an Aluminess box to my rear door. It was tedious, nerve wracking work but it’s done and it’s sweet!

BB
Attached Thumbnails
663436F3-EEAD-4154-9A8E-2806635BE608.jpg  
BrianBlair is offline   Reply With Quote