Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2023, 11:17 AM   #3401

When MrAnderson parked his van in my driveway some time back, we blew the whole system through with compressed air which helped quite a bit… could be an easy “improvement”?

Here’s a pic of what I did:
Hoses right and left removed (circles), pushing it out of the clips marked with the red arrows and that’s it. No tools needed, beside a small screwdriver to remove the clip on the hose.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4638.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	47143

Based on my research the next I would have done would be swapping the sensor.

But for the rest I’d guess making sure all tubes/ hoses/ connectors are not plugged, not sure what else it could be.

Beside a failure code: I guess fueling should work when just disconnecting the whole unit at the tank, wouldn’t it? This way you could narrow down step by step where the problem is.

E-350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 07:50 PM   #3402

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
Motovan....have you replaced your vapor canister? I have this issue but it's not too bad and somewhat intermittent. Once in a while it clicks off the pump.
I have indeed replaced my vapor canister. My symptoms are not exactly the same as what E-350 and most others usually describe. You can see my lengthy thread here.

In short, the tank fills OK, but once the auto-shutoff triggers on the gas nozzle, a significant amount of gas splashes out of the fill neck. Every once in a while, I'll experience the issue where the nozzle clicks off every 30 seconds while filling, but that has only happened a couple times.

Completely disconnecting the vapor canister from the gas tank (resulting in the gas tank venting straight to atmosphere) has resolved the issue for me.

Out of curiosity, where do most 4x4 conversions locate the vapor canister? On my UJOR, the canister is located in the stock spare tire area, so the vent hose running from the tank to the canister is quite long. Wondering if that is enough to create some pressure buildup, even if nothing is clogged.
motovan_mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 07:55 PM   #3403

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-350 View Post
When MrAnderson parked his van in my driveway some time back, we blew the whole system through with compressed air which helped quite a bit… could be an easy “improvement”?

Here’s a pic of what I did:
Hoses right and left removed (circles), pushing it out of the clips marked with the red arrows and that’s it. No tools needed, beside a small screwdriver to remove the clip on the hose.
Attachment 47143

Based on my research the next I would have done would be swapping the sensor.

But for the rest I’d guess making sure all tubes/ hoses/ connectors are not plugged, not sure what else it could be.

Beside a failure code: I guess fueling should work when just disconnecting the whole unit at the tank, wouldn’t it? This way you could narrow down step by step where the problem is.
Whoops, didn't see this before posting my previous reply. That vapor canister sure looks different than mine! Ford must have changed it at some point.

I thought I went through and ensured all the lines are not clogged, but my plan is to eventually do that one more time and maybe more thoroughly. Will have to attempt to track this down via process of elimination... really just don't enjoy crawling around under the van on the dirt. Sure would be nice to have a lift

motovan_mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 11:42 AM   #3404

microwave didn't make it

I trashed the microwave unit. Bouncing along some washboard road, big crash in the back - the microwave had committed suicide by jumping to the floor. Discovered that it was held in place by a thin piece of wood - nothing to physically hold in place, just under tension. 2014 build...seriously poor based on the kind of roads these beasts are built to travel on. Guess I just added a little more storage space to the van

Jon
JonBertsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 10:19 PM   #3405

For older E-350 and rear Aluminess bumper owners: I replaced the rear door hinge pins, fasteners and the associated plates that are part of the Aluminess bumper swing arm tower tie in. This is a 19 year old SMB West installation of the rear bumper. Four years ago I had Aluminess rebuild and gusset the tire arm and beef up the pivot bolts but did not touch the hinge pins or plates. The plates were starting to crack and SMB had used non-Stainless steel bolts as the replacement pins and they were rusting and wearing since SMB also did not use shoulder bolts. Picture the threads wearing away inside the hinge. I ordered parts from Aluminess but they provided 5/16 shoulder bolts when 3/8 are required The 2 bolt picture shows this difference). They swore this is the Ford kit so I don't know the explanation for this. I ordered the required SS 3/8 x 3" shoulder bolts from McMaster-Carr. Aluminess has 2 plate lengths and this takes the longer one. They come flat and need bending to fit. I also R&R the washers and nuts on the pivot bolts. The critical thing on the pivot shoulder bolts is that the shoulder diameter and the thread diameter are different. If the shoulder extends below the bottom surface, shoulder diameter washers are needed to shim a thread diameter washer for the lock nut to properly clamp.

[IMG][/IMG]

2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 08:36 AM   #3406

Garage
PatO, those stainless fasteners certainly cleaned up the hinge attachments. I've got a Ruenell bumper, but think I'll do something similar to mine.
Old 06-13-2023, 09:47 PM   #3407

Replaced and repositioned my water pump. The old one died over the winter.

Also re wired part of my electrical system to simplify it.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 11:01 AM   #3408

Added LED strip light

Looking at some old emails, I realize I started thinking about doing this in January 2021. Sometimes these things take a while!

Anyway, yesterday I finally replaced the original interior light fixture that is above the barn doors on the inside of my van with an LED strip light. The old light was never very useful, so hopefully the new one will be a nice upgrade! Plus now we can have fun colors for any van disco parties.
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20210107_191947070.jpg   PXL_20210107_192206840.jpg   PXL_20230617_225611220.jpg  
YoTerryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 11:14 AM   #3409

Rearched the rear springs and added one more leaf. All new leaf spring bushings front and rear, new propane tank, new brake calipers, pads, parking brake shoes, and rotors, in the rear, new rear axle seals, put summer tires and wheels on, changed the oil, Rainxed the windows and hit the road....
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 05:34 PM   #3410

Garage
Finally had to replace my Lifeline house battery. It lasted for about a decade so not terrible. Took me way longer than it should have, but it’s done and no major loss of blood.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1163.jpg