Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2008, 12:01 PM   #61

Send a message via Yahoo to 2much8ntenough
Quote:
Originally Posted by deminimis
One of the easiest, cheapest, most effective mods yet. Snip...
I performed a similar high tech, effective fix. I was getting a lot of chatter from the onboard Extreme Air. So I bought a rubber floor mat from Autozone for about $12. I cut it to fit underneath the compressor, and wrap slightly up the sides of the tray that it sits in. The compressor fit snugly into the trey w/ the mat beneath it, silenced the noise.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:47 PM   #62

With the wife making me do this and that, and "T" ball and Minors games all day Sunday, the SMB did not get the attention it deserved this past weekend (six innings of wild pitches can really eat up a day). However, managed time to fab up some 1/16" shims to use to properly line-up my driver's door (PO had the door open and backed into a security key pad, damaging the orig door). Door had been replaced with a new one, but the body shop that did the work never lined the new door up correctly (leaked a lot of wind and didn't close every well). Door was too far forward. Sure, I could have removed the front fender to access the hinges to move the door rearward, but my body shop tried that (supposedly) and couldn't move it enough. Could have mod'd the hinges to provide enough adjustment, but by making shims, it was super simple. Door lines up as good as new now. Tight seal and perfect gaps. Cost a whopping $4-ish for the 1/16" metal from Home Depot and a little paint. Very happy with the result. Recharged the AC system to find the reported leak. System is working perfectly and have not been able to locate the leak yet. Perhaps it sealed back up (yea, right). Up next: Installing the missing driver's door SMB script and Rhino lining my nerf bars.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:08 PM   #63

Built a Locking Gas cap! Project
Old 04-20-2008, 02:44 AM   #64

Added weather stripping (foam padded kind) to my large (LOUD) shower door, cabinet doors, and drawers. I cannot believe I didn't do this months ago.

Also, a few weeks ago I made a custom floor mat out of the 2'x2' interlocking stress pads. Very easy to cut down to fit perfectly, and makes a world of difference when you're in the van with the top down and just need to walk on your knees a bit. As in, it makes it possible.
I can't remember if I did a separate thread for that mod or no.. I need to get picks of it, it turned out really slick.
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...43791a54be.jpg
Buji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 07:02 AM   #65

Cut up a large rubber mat to fit in the space between the front seats, with a circle cut out for the $x$ gear shifts. Still aggravated to think I could have forced SMB to put in rubber matting all over the front flooring. Hatred of rugs in vehicles is why I started on my quest for a custom vehicle in the first place.
At least now the area is protected from coffee spills.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:39 AM   #66

Garage
Installed a Black Billet Grill on the van yesterday. Looks great, try to get some pics in the next day or two ...

Also spent a frustrating 2 hrs trying to remove the pin from the upper rear door hinge so I could install the Aluminess swingarm to carry the Baja Box on the drivers side.

Drilled and pounded the living daylights and the bugger still wouldn't budge - guess I'll try the guys down at the local body shop Mon to se if/what they can do. Did everything per Aluminess' instructions too. Any other tips???

I'll keep y'all posted

-d
Old 04-20-2008, 08:29 AM   #67

I got nowhere fast yesterday. Actually, somewhere way beyond nowhere and it took all day to get there. Was going to switch out my water pump, hoses, thermostat and belt and switch whatever coolant is in the van over to ES Compleat (that's how its spelled). So read up and read some more. If wanting to get real anal, then three -four coolant flushes with distilled water is the way to go (according to posts on dieselstop). Well, I'm not that anal. First flush with well water (our well), second flush with bottled water (wish Perrier came in bigger bottles) and drained. Then set off to start changing everything with a planned third flush then finally filling with 60/40 ES Compleat and distilled water.

Flushing procedures went well. Pulled top hose and belt. Top hose had rubbed against a AC coolant line. Wore past the plies leaving only a very thin section of rubber (can't believe it hadn't blown yet). New belt (ordered) ended up being the longer one for the dual alt setup (don't have dual alts). Top hose about 3" too short. Fan did not want to come off. Remember that episode when Peter Brady got the job at the bike shop? Yea, he got fired because he worked too slow. That's me. Now its dinner time and I've neglected my 8 and 5 year-olds all day. Decided I'd better button it all up for another day. Stuck my old belt on(its in good shape) and the new, too short upper hose on (had to use a zip tie to keep it out of the way of the belt). Then came the belt routing. If there ever was a sticker showing the routing, its gone now. Used the image of an older F-250's routing to get me close. Finally got it right. So, for the next week, I'm running nearly 100% distilled water. Lube issues aren't as big an issue as going to change out the pump next Saturday. Freezing issues not a big issue right now. Imagine I'll be ok for just a week (300-400 miles as have to go out of town for a conference). Pretty much a wasted day. Here's my fancy flushing procedure:

I discovered today the best way to switch out a pump is to unhook the shroud, lay if onto the fan and remove the radiator. Once rad is out, then remove the shroud. After that, one can tackle the fan in place or remove the fan and pump as a single unit and work on it while its on your bench.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:18 AM   #68

Finally got around to routing my external cellphone antenna from the cellphone amplifier behind the driver seat up through the penthouse to the roof. Alot better than running the cable through the door since I had already frayed and severed it. Amp/antenna works great.

Also "installed" a hula doll on the dash.

Met a nice couple in Malibu on Pacific Coast highway who saw me with the top up and stopped to talk. They have been looking at SMB's and I told them about our forum.

steve
Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:16 AM   #69

Hey alta825, that hinge pin is a tough one. You just need a LARGE hammer and a punch that is smaller than the hinge pin. I suggest taping some thick cardboard, or a mat, to the van so you don't get dings in the paint and then you have to REALLY smack the sucker from below. Don't give up, it really will come out. When it happens, you'll wonder why it was so hard.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 02:42 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellularSTEVE
Also "installed" a hula doll on the dash.
Absolutely a critical accessory. I've always installed on on my 4x4 vehicles, they're good luck charms that keep your rig running!
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...43791a54be.jpg
Buji is offline   Reply With Quote