Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2014, 07:42 PM   #1481
Site Team

Garage
Re: What did you do to your SMB today?

clutch plates cooked and warn out plus seals not in very good shape and few other items that need attention along with not having the 6 sprag basket its time for some burn outs and back to 17 mpg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooseberry
After the last few trips I have noticed the tranny getting hotter on climbs and not when in 4th so I have a feeling that the torque converter is heading south. I plan on doing all the shift upgrades a billet TC and a 6 gear steel basket if I already do not have one( at 110K the shop thinks I do) what else can you think of?

I'm only seeing 220 but I did get a bunch out of fluid out of the breather going up the grade to south lake last weekend and I needed 4 low to climb to Coyote ridge.

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 04:55 PM   #1482

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta

During some off-roading on my trip to Steamboat Springs, I noticed the front brakes were ringing. Thinking it finally needed front brakes at over 70k, I pulled the front wheels to find cracks in the rotors that weren't there a few months ago when I serviced the wheel bearings, and I hope weren't there when I had the tires rotated before the trip.

No prob. It had been weeks since the van needed anything, so I dove in. I bought factory brake pads and some super, mega, ultra premium rotors from NAPA (ever read Factotum?). I also decided to replace the wheel bearings and races with gen-u-ine US made Timken parts, and tried these nifty spindle nuts: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stage-8-X-LOCK- ... 84&vxp=mtr.

No prob for an old pro like me...

No prob except my equipment is used to working on VWs and Porsches. So I had to buy a bearing race driver kit that would cover the large inner bearings. No prob. Ordered a Lisle pinion bearing driver kit off Ebay while the van sat on jack stands for a week. Finally came, worked great.

Then it came time to install the new rotors. No prob, I'll just use my old 6 ton press to remove and install the wheel studs that hold the hub and rotor together. Removal went OK, install not so much. No prob. So I drove 40 miles to the nearest Harbor Freight and bought a 20 ton press which did the job.

Bearings packed and installed it was time to try the nifty spindle nuts. Turns out they use a different spindle nut socket than the stock Danas. No prob. Ran to my local NAPA, $30 later and it's done.

Took only 10 days, but I have some neat new tools...

Z

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:47 PM   #1483

I broke down on a mountain today, 20 miles from nowhere! I may elaborate later, but I prefer to not relive it. Z's 10 day adventure is much more entertaining.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:24 PM   #1484

I stripped the entire interior out to convert to to RB50 floor plan, and ordered the sound deadening stuff to do the front cab, and will add a driver's swivel base.
c7train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:47 PM   #1485

Continued to try to figure out our Starcool issues. Stocked the pantry. Stocked with dishes, cooking supplies, spices, etc.

Still a newb...just trying to get it ready to leave on our first trip in six days. Oh the pressure!
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:37 AM   #1486

Never did care for the wimpy badging that SMB put on. Here's the old one.

And here's what my wife made for me.

Toyo LT285/70 R17
4MacFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:52 PM   #1487

Nice stickers. I have the same cheesy original sticker from SMB. How much would she charge to make one for me with black letters and a red 4x4? I have a white van.

PS: That is one shiny van!
Old 08-25-2014, 08:02 AM   #1488

Sorry photographix, my wife says she can't make these due to copyright let alone sell them. Was mad at me for posting it.

They do sell some on the SMB store, but they're darker than pictured and wouldn't work with our black van. They'd look great on your white van though.
Toyo LT285/70 R17
4MacFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 05:11 PM   #1489

Got a scangauge II and coded it to read the transmission temp. Bummed it doesnt have oil pressure, but its nice to see the readouts with a numerical value.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:20 PM   #1490

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer
Got a scangauge II and coded it to read the transmission temp. Bummed it doesnt have oil pressure, but its nice to see the readouts with a numerical value.
Boy do I miss mine! I bought an old school Trans temp guage for Rusty but I really miss all the info Scanguage gives you. Mine's a 95 so no go. OBDII started in 96.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote