Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2022, 12:47 PM   #1

What rear lift to match moog c880s

Hi. New here, recently bought a 2wd 1995 ford coachmen camper van. I have been a toyota person so this is a new world for me.

Will be ordering a ujoint kit next year if we enjoy the van(coming from a built tacoma).

In the mean time I put on some moog 880s coils in the front and looks like I got about 2" of lift.

I have been googling for the last 3 hours and cant seem to find what people are doing to raise the rear to match, I have some pretty good rake as it sits and want to level it out with another 2" in rear.

I would prefer an add a leaf, but wouldnt be opposed to some blocks if it is much easier.

Leafs are 3" wide, im not finding anything vehicle specific accept from weldtec which is a little more $$ than im looking to spend on this temporary kit.

Please if you have any advice, part #s, thread links etc. Im all ears.

Thanks in advance!

Excorcist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 01:19 PM   #2

I bought some 1" lifts from these guys for an 1997 E-350 RB

https://www.ebay.com/str/americanmadelifts

for example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/16464908862...4AAOSwn1tgAy7I
FITMENT: 1999-2021 F250 and F350 Super Duty 2WD 4WD: 2000-2005 Excursion 2WD 4WD
CONTENTS: 2x Tapered steel lift blocks and Instructions
SPECIFICATIONS: 2x 5"L x 3"W x 3.5"H; 9/16th Pin
TECHNICAL NOTES: A wheel alignment is recommended; Retighten u-bolts after the first 500 miles
NOTE: Longer U-Bolts are required
They actually measured out to the dimensions they specified. I'm not sure if the pin is the same or possibly oversized. A little file work would solve that if warranted.
posplayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 01:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by posplayr View Post
I bought some 1" lifts from these guys for an 1997 E-350 RB

https://www.ebay.com/str/americanmadelifts

for example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/16464908862...4AAOSwn1tgAy7I
FITMENT: 1999-2021 F250 and F350 Super Duty 2WD 4WD: 2000-2005 Excursion 2WD 4WD
CONTENTS: 2x Tapered steel lift blocks and Instructions
SPECIFICATIONS: 2x 5"L x 3"W x 3.5"H; 9/16th Pin
TECHNICAL NOTES: A wheel alignment is recommended; Retighten u-bolts after the first 500 miles
NOTE: Longer U-Bolts are required
They actually measured out to the dimensions they specified. I'm not sure if the pin is the same or possibly oversized. A little file work would solve that if warranted.

Sweet, Thanks for the response. So I actually had bought a kit from summit racing for a late model f-250 hoping it would work. The blocks were slightly thinner (maybe 2.5'' wide) and ubolts were incorrect. (too wide and long)

Were those blocks a true 3" wide? Also what ubolts did you use? Do you have any pictures of your van on here?

Again I appreciate the response! I have some bigger tires at the shop waiting for me to get the suspension figured out
Excorcist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 02:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excorcist View Post
Sweet, Thanks for the response. So I actually had bought a kit from summit racing for a late model f-250 hoping it would work. The blocks were slightly thinner (maybe 2.5'' wide) and ubolts were incorrect. (too wide and long)

Were those blocks a true 3" wide? Also what ubolts did you use? Do you have any pictures of your van on here?

Again I appreciate the response! I have some bigger tires at the shop waiting for me to get the suspension figured out
All dimensions of the 1" block I have are within 0.030".
The pin is 9/16" but the Dana 60 FF has 5/8" holes in the spring pads. I think it is close enough.

As I recall some of the suppliers I found would send you a 2.5" wide block and call it a 3" wide block (for F250/350). I returned them and stopped looking at this supplier.

I was just going to sneak the 1" spacer on the stock U bolt and sorry I have never installed them. The van was involved in a wreck (totaled) and I have t moved to a new 2000 E350 XLT EB.

FYI if you have not seen It yet, large 3+" blocks are not recommended because it changes the pinion angle. I recall 2" may be the most that is tolerable with new springs being preferable.

I'm looking at a combination of Monroe heavy-duty overloads and air springs along with the 1" block. The new van has an extra 800 lbs on the lift on the passenger side so the exact combination I'm not quite sure of yet.

I'm doing an all-around brakes (disks, hoses, pads and caliper rebuild, booster /master.) update right now with the 2008+ front disk upgrades.

I also bought the MOOG CC81366 Coil Spring Set along with F/R sway bars.

The 2000 E-350 XLT is a V-10 with 300K miles so it probably need the new springs more than my old 1997 with 125K miles
posplayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 06:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excorcist View Post
Also what ubolts did you use? Do you have any pictures of your van on here?

Where are you located? Someone here might know a truck spring shop close to you. If you are in a decent sized city there's no doubt one close to you that you've probably never heard of. They mostly work on commercial/dump trucks.

Any spring shop has the ability to custom bend U-bolts. The shop in my city does them on the spot, took about 15 minutes last time I needed some. There's no rocket science there, they have straight u-bolt stock and a machine to bend them.

Last I did were a few years ago but they were just maybe $20 apiece.

I will be doing this same thing very soon leveling a Quigley that I'm lifting a bit. If you don't have a solution by then I'll be happy to update info or get my guy to bend you some if you want to ship them. I bet it's easier for you to go local though.

@posplayr, thanks for the link on those blocks!
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 09:04 PM   #6

For 2" in the back, you can get custom lift blocks from PMF.
https://www.pmfsuspension.com/2017-2...cks_p_173.html
Custom Bolts will be easy. I took mine into a leaf spring shop, said "please add N inches, and then some to cut off." 15 minutes later I had custom springs
desertsherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 08:32 AM   #7
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Maybe someone has some takeoff blocks from a SMB build if they’ve swapped over to a custom leaf pack. I think they were 3”. Pretty sure I pitched mine, I’ll look.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 11:40 AM   #8

Remember that you can also purchase "Degree Shims" to place under the blocks or leaf spring perches to adjust the pinion angle. This is done all the time on leaf spring suspension lifts and works great to minimize pinion angle problems on leaf spring lifts.

Doing this right now on my 2WD 1976 International Scout Terra that has a solid axle front end on leaf springs. The 4WD front axles in Scout II's were designed with 0 degrees of Castor which is BAD for road driving. Since front axle in my my 2WD Scout is the same solid front axle less the differential I do not have worry about the pinion angle the installation of 4-6 degree shims will give the solid front 2WD axle the need positive castor it needs to drive like a dream.

Same concept on the rear of you Sportsmobile IF you need to maintain a particular pinion angle because of you lift.

2001 Chevrolet Express 3500 Quigley 4WD ATF "Bomber Van"
1995 Chevrolet ASSTRO 4WD Quigley Custom Van
1994 Dodge B350 Sportsmobile Van
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote