Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2011, 05:32 PM   #1

Where to install Transmission Filter?

This is what I am trying to do...and nothing is ever simple.

Install a transmission filter.

I was trying to install a simple transmission filter...as seen on dieselsite.com. Problem is I have the engine batteries where the instructions state to mount it and there is no where else to mount given the hose length provided.

I have been to a metal fab shop that sent me to a gear manufaturing shop that sent me to a hydrolic shop that sent me to a oil parts shop...followed by a dead end.

Choice 1: Go back to the gear manufacturing shop and have the manufacture a 3/4" pipe male to 1/2" inverted flair female with a 90 degree bend. This would be low profile and allow me to mount next to the battery. They said it would cost $100-$150 each to produce, which would require two.

Choice 2: Order from the eaton manufacturing the parts that were used to make the hose diesel site used in the kit. The down side is that I would have to take it to a hydrolic shop and have them crimp the pieces together with a machine at additional cost. $130 in parts alone to create two 5' hoses. I would then place the unit on the opposite side frame, over the transmission, coolant lines and gas lines and infront of the Amsoil Oil filtration system. Essentially I would not use the 3' hose provided and go to a 6' with the option of cutting it to 5'. This would also create resistance in the line due to doubling the length.

http://www.youblisher.com/p/3647-Eaton- ... e-Catalog/ Pages 16 and 17

FBC0800 / FCC0806 - 6 Ft. Length
FCM1139 / FBM1139 - Fits Hose Size -08 (Fitting Size -08)
FCM1145 / FBM1145 - Fits Hose Size -08 (Fitting Size -08)

http://www.aeroquip.cc/fbc0800fcc0806-6ftlength.aspx

Choice 3: mount it 1" from the exhaust pipe. BTW. the return transmission oil runs 1" along side the exhaust pipe before entering the transmission. A flowing column may be one thing, a filter canister with anything but linear flow may be another issue entirely.

Choice 4: do nothing.

I have a compressor that prevents me mounting it behind the Atlas transfer case.

Love any input on what other people have done.

Ketcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:24 AM   #2

Re: Where to install Transmission Filter?

This really should be it's own topic.

How about #5: move the battery

Either next to the 2nd battery if you have one (wiring already exists) or extending the wiring to that point and replicating where a battery goes on the rail.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:30 AM   #3

Do you have enough hose to mount it next to the stock oil filter? It's very close to the trans.
Remember you don't have to mount it vertically, I mounted my coolant filter next to the oil filter, that trans filter looks to be the same size filter.
I just made a very simple bracket that mounts to the suspension mounts

Other than that, for longer lines have you tried Simmitracing Jegs they have a bunch of pre-made lines.
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 12:01 PM   #4

Is this for a 4r100 or something? Don't they already have a filter in the pan?

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANZAC
Is this for a 4r100 or something? Don't they already have a filter in the pan?
Yes. But some people feel the need for extra filter, kind-a like the amsol setup I suppose.
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:24 AM   #6

I like the idea of a custom bracket. Thank you for the source of parts as well. I will take some pictures once I figure it out. There is so many systems under there that there is no place to mount even sideways. I may however change my coolant filter location since it slightly lower (milimeters) than the battery pan. Thanks for the input. This helps.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:31 AM   #7

On an '07 w/ 6.0 PSD, there is a great spot behind the T-case and in front of the fuel tank. Mounts vertical (great for filter changes) and all the supplied hoses are the perfect length. SMB mounts the extreme air compressor there so if ya got one of those, it's back to the drawing board.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:54 AM   #8

Scatter,

What are your thoughts...you make a custom 1/4" pipe to 1/2" inverted flair that is low profile and place next to the battery or add 6 feet of hose to a total of 10-12' by going to the opposite side, over the drive train, fuel lines etc. My question is if the additional length will create resistance.

-j
Old 05-24-2011, 10:57 AM   #9

I went with Magnefine for my transmission filter. Install is easy.... Cut line from cooler, install filter, install hose clamps, change T-shirt.

It's about $15 too.
http://www.emergingent.com/subpage1Magnefine.htm
Old 05-24-2011, 10:58 PM   #10

There's always flow resistance in a hose. How much depends on what the inside of the hose is made of. Will it be enough to affect the flow - I really don't know. Any chance on moving the air compressor to a different location?
Putting the filter next to the exhaust pipe should be OK, but I'd sure put a heat shield between the two. High trans temps are a concern for most of us.
I'd sure think twice (three or four times) afore I spent the kind of bucks you're talking about for special hoses.
I'd keep looking for other mounting spots closer to the trans. Especially on the right side where the hoses need to connect. I know things are tight, but close is OK. Look at what SheepShagger did. The only part movement you really need to worry about is up and down. Not much side to side movement in anything under there.
Cope out of an answer, but it's time to get creative.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote