Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2021, 10:06 AM   #1

Who else love/hates their Maxxair fan?

Driving down Los Angeles roads (where I live) is like listening to a bunch of rocks tumbling around in a dryer. This fan makes so much noise rattling down bumpy roads that I’m considering building a sound proof trap door underneath it to isolate it while driving. I don’t remember the Fantastic fan in my RV making this much noise. I have the Maxxair Deluxe 6200. Great little fan with much better features than the Fantastic. Almost silent in the lowest setting.

But now the darn thing shuts off when I put it into higher speeds. I get the beep of death and have to pull the fuse to reset it. Do I need a new circuit board too?

1Der, I know you were on a quest to solve the rattle problem...did you?

I’d love to hear how others have dealt with these problems. Thanks!

thejm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 01:01 PM   #2

Mine doesn't make any noise while driving (closed). When I open it up and turn it on it's pretty quiet for the first two speeds, noticeable at the top two speeds.

I'm content with it.
loper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 02:13 PM   #3

It doesn’t rattle? Which one do you have? I wonder if the ones that open with an electric motor are built better and don’t rattle around as much as the manual crank ones.
Old 08-03-2021, 02:57 PM   #4

Nope, doesn't rattle. I forgot the number, but it's all manual, no remote control. I never drive around with it open, and I always push the knob up to lock it when I close it.
loper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 03:10 PM   #5

Mine doesn't rattle if I'm all the way open or all the way shut. I have driven with it open at times. At 70MPH it pulls a significant negative pressure on the cabin, sucking in a lot of hot air. At low speeds it sucks in a lot of dust so I usually keep it down when moving. Never any rattling though. It's been flawless for the last 4 years. I do have a 6.0 diesel but with the windows up my cab is pretty quiet with all the work I've done. I think I have the same model as you. Fan model MA00-6200K which is the 10 speed, no remote, manual crank open.

Just curious, what in your fan is making the noise? I'm assuming the fan is off with the lid open or closed when your driving. Let me know if I can help.

- Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 04:24 PM   #6

Wow maybe your roads are just that much nicer! When I’m on smooth highway nothing rattles but driving around LA’s neglected roads, it’s so bad it freaks my dog out! It just sounds like all the plastic is rattling around. I only drive with it closed and in the locked position. Slight open or unlocked makes no difference.
Old 08-03-2021, 04:34 PM   #7

I installed one after going threw 3 fantastic fans all of which failed in less than a year. So far the Max Fan has been great. My rig has two fans, the second fan is a fantastic fan and it has failed, i just havent found time to replace it yet but when i do it will be a MaxAir as well.

The only issue i have had with the MaxAir fan is the touch pad cracking.
ScrapIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 08:06 PM   #8

I haven't had any luck with Fantastic Fans either.

As for Maxxair I've had about every one, and about 5 deluxe ones. Some of them just start making noise over time. Could be aerodynamically induced, could be from lots of offroading/washboard, could be from high winds, could be your hair dye. I just replace them when they get noisy.

I can say this though. I recently went back in time to a NON hooded (non deluxe) version on my current van. It makes no noise and moves a lot more air than the deluxe versions but of course you can't run it in the rain. It has a rain sensor but none of those work that well.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 08:53 PM   #9

Strange, mine doesn't rattle at all.

I've had two Maxxair MaxxFan Deluxe, one on my Quigley which I sold and another on my Transit. Both are them were very quiet, I hear a bit more wind resistance when I accidently leave it up on the Transit but no rattling whatsoever.
Old 08-05-2021, 08:10 AM   #10

Mine makes more noise than I would have thought when driving down the highway with it closed. I ended up making a magnetic cover with some insulation on the backside to muffle the noise. Not sure why some seem to be noisier than others. I love the fans functionality but I just have to remember to put the cover on before driving.
Oly11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan, fantastic, maxxair