Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2022, 08:34 PM   #1

Window Blank Options

I finally got around to installing the blanks I had laser cut by a local fab shop. I decided e track was the best option as specific mounts of accesaries have a tendancy to change design some every few years others go out of business or discontinue the item.
Attached Thumbnails
20221226_153957.jpg   20221226_153913.jpg  

Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 08:59 PM   #2

Looks good. I would love if something like this was commercially available and used the factory glass mounting holes (studs welded to the panels?), but I'm probably too cheap for what that would cost. A good coat of high gloss black paint and I bet 99% of people passing by wouldn't notice they weren't just tinted glass. Are you doing the passenger side as well?
TheLetterJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 06:49 AM   #3

Pass side is up in the air right now. I pick the drivers side so I could view clearances on those narrow or off camber trails with solid objects like tree limbs or rock out croppings. I have considered the back door windows in the future. I did consider painting the blanks black but I think once items are placed on it like traction boards and fuel, I think the paint vs having to remove the trac to paint is a task that can wait but if I do decide on this route I will either wrap in black or rhino line before I'd paint.
The blanks are 1/4" aluminum with stainless round head Allen head bolts thru the original window mount holes. I driled and inserted huck rivets on 80% of the bolts and used locking nuts on key load bearing points.
Old 12-27-2022, 07:34 AM   #4
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Purely out of curiosity I'd love seeing your Huck fastener mounting details---sounds interesting. If its as I image your panels can be removed from the outside?
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 08:16 AM   #5

You are partially correct for 80% of the bolts. Along with flex of the body and load bearing of accessories, this was another reason why 20% of the bolts are thru bolts with lock nuts. You can get most off but you cannot get them all off therefore alowing security. It'd be easier to break a window then attempt to remove all the bolts and deal with the butyl seal which sticks like glue. If I ever choose to return to glass I drill out the rivets and remove the the remainder of the bolts with help from someone inside to hold the nuts.
Old 12-27-2022, 03:44 PM   #6

Good creative work. I'd love a flip up window blank that allowed access from outside or just to let a breeze come through at camp. You see those a lot on various Toyotas particularly in videos from Australia and Africa and they seem like a really handy option. Dunno how hard it would be to create but seems like something Weldtec or U Joint could come to market with and have some success.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 05:49 PM   #7

Garage
Back when you mentioned making window blanks Vanimal, my interest was peeked and honestly I was a little skeptical since matching the slight curvatures of the glass (to make them fit nicely) is a challenge. Those are impressive - Well done!
Old 12-27-2022, 07:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
Purely out of curiosity I'd love seeing your Huck fastener mounting details---sounds interesting. If its as I image your panels can be removed from the outside?
Not sure if you'd like a pic of the tool and/or the actual fasteners whether installed or prior to install.

In the price category I was at about $300.00 for the big and little window plus the stainless bolts and huck rivets which are best from Amazon. The tool was purchased a year back when I did my body armor on my rock crawler. I think that was under $50. The 5' E track was under $20 per piece and about $9 for the 12". Nuts washers another $20 or so. Now that I have the blanks on a cad system they should be cheaper to source.
Old 12-28-2022, 02:35 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
Back when you mentioned making window blanks Vanimal, my interest was peeked and honestly I was a little skeptical since matching the slight curvatures of the glass (to make them fit nicely) is a challenge. Those are impressive - Well done!

My first thought/question as well. Did you just oversize the "blanks" ever so slightly so you could force them into curvature and still mount them to the van mounting holes? Did you engineer it up front and have the mounting holes cut into the blanks up front, or drill them as you were attaching the blanks?

Herb
BroncoHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 08:02 PM   #10

The blanks were probably 1/8" over total. I did not have a brake, a hammer or a roller. My press would have worked but I chose not to move it so I hillbillyed it. I put two 2x4 under the van axle. I laid the blanks on the 2x4's. I put my 2 ton bottle jack on a 3/4" plywood strip that was 6x12. I jacked the van up a little at a time till I got my curveture. The little window was obviously the easiest. I duct taped the blank and went inside and marked them, then drilled the blank. The the big one I used hobby card board to lay over the removed window. I took a 3/16 socket and punched each window screw thru the board to make a template, then drilled.