Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2009, 02:30 PM   #1

Window Blinds??

Does anyone know who makes or where you can buy those nice window blinds that smb uses? I am looking for the ones that fit in the window hole like in the side doors and are stretched tight and do not rattle or make noise. I would really like to find some that fit in the factory windows of a 15 passenger van.
Thanks
Derek

72 bronco aod injected 351 4 linked arb f/r 38in swampers
72 bronco 302 c4 soon to be 4bt w/ 5speed 4 inch lift 33 swampers
81 cj 7 in pieces at the moment injected twin turbo 401
ktm 525 exc, 620sx,
62 caddy convertible waiting for me to install 2007 northstar
dsw4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 03:11 PM   #2

Re: Window Blinds??

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=981&hilit=window+blinds
Old 06-01-2009, 09:52 PM   #3

Thanks Jage,
I looked around for a post like that a while back but did not see that one. The price is a little steep buy the time I do all 9 windows and my first idea was the same as yours and use reflectix I think I will go that route if I can find a clean way to velcro or attach them to the windows.
ktm 525 exc, 620sx,
Old 06-03-2009, 08:19 PM   #4

It's very easy to just cut the material the right size. Make them maybe 1/4" bigger than the glass, and then just press them in. I put a little duct tape flag on one side to pull them out in the morning and a label on each one to be sure where they go. I bought a 4' wide roll of the stuff for about $50 at Lowes and have enough for a couple of sets when they get torn up. I also made some for the front windshield in two pieces that overlap about 4" in the center with a slot for the rearview mirror. When I turn the lights on in the van at night, you can walk around outside and not see any light escaping. Takes about 2 minutes to get them all installed. During the day, I lay them on top of the upper shelf (or bed if you have one) and just close it up. It took me a couple of hours to make the set I guess.
Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:50 PM   #5

Thanks I have some of that stuff left over from a hot tub I redid a while back. I will probably cut some up this weekend and try it out. I did not think to cut it a little bigger than the actual opening and i did not want to put velcro either on the trim or the window.
Derek
ktm 525 exc, 620sx,
Old 06-04-2009, 08:41 AM   #6

Yeah I did the same thing, just cut it a little big and it stays perfectly. Better than the blinds because you can black out a sunny day. The only thing I did was put a small rectangle of aluminum tape on one side and label them by window. This gives an orientation as well because the labels are all inside and right side up.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:14 PM   #7

After using my aluminum bubble wrap window shades for a few months, I notice that the aluminum seems to be rubbing off. My hands are covered with gray (aluminum oxide?) after putting them in or taking them out. I have washed them several times, but it seems that until there is nothing left but the plastic bubble wrap, they will keep shedding the aluminum. Anyone else have this issue? I wonder if a coat of paint would seal the material better. Other than that, they work great and totally block out the light if you want to sleep in.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:58 AM   #8

I've got aluminum transfer on my ceiling from storing between the PH and roof, but the pieces themselves aren't that bad yet.

I think paint would crack and peel, but it would be nice to have a better coating. Then again the hard part was creating the shapes, the reflectix itself was inexpensive. I think just cutting new ones with the old ones as guides might be easier.

If you want to get more involved maybe spray adhesive and some light fabric would solve the problem without being too stiff.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:25 PM   #9

Ok, I decided to try another material. Of course this came from Lowes also. It is 1/4" styrofoam that comes bundled in a stack that is like an accordian 4' x 2' and 6" thick. It is enough to do several vans, but still only costs about $30. You need to cut them a little closer to actual size for them to fit well, but I think I will run them for a while. At least the aluminum doesn't rub off and they seem pretty durable. The foam seems to have some kind of coating on one side. You may be able to paint them with a latex paint, but anything with a solvent would not be pretty.

Here is a pic:

And another one: