Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2012, 05:15 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta
Winterization

I've been doing some winter camping this year. The only issue I've had was the heat exchanger for the hot water system freezing. I decided to relocate the exchanger under the sink where it will not freeze while camping.

I found these nifty bulkhead fittings in 5/8" (heater hose size) to run the heater hose into the van without having to enlarge the existing holes.

The hardest part of the job was dealing with the 1/2" PEX tubing, but I ended up liking the stuff after buying the proper crimping tool for it.

I originally planned to have a three-way valve to bypass the heat exchanger in case I didn't want a hot thing under the sink during the summer. We'll see how it goes without before adding even more complexity. I also ran the heater hoses around the gray water drain to see if that will melt it when driving so I can drain the tank.

Z

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:10 PM   #2

Re: Winterization

I wish I'd known about those bulkhead fittings before I did my move under the sink!
Amsoil
kzemach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:42 PM   #3

Nice job it looks really good and those bulkhead fitting are perfect. Where was the heat exchanger before? Where did you get the tool for the PEX crimps? What brand are they? I am building a fresh water system in my van and I was thinking of using Flair-It brand fittings that work with out clamps but they are mail order only as far as I can tell. I love PEX stuff but I have always used it by just using end crimpers or CV boot pliers but you can't do too many without wondering if they are secure and getting tired. For me it is hard to justify a $100 tool for very limited use.
Thanks...
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrasport12
For me it is hard to justify a $100 tool for very limited use.
Thanks...
PEX is great. If you're really in the Bay Area, you can just borrow my PEX crimper and save the $100. I'm in Redwood City. Somewhere on this forum (check my photo gallery) I did a conversion as well; similar to this one but with an accumulator which I like. Flat plate outside of the van is a totally dumb idea for anyone who goes winter camping; for SMB, it's just a liability issue to have it inside.
Amsoil
kzemach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:41 PM   #5

kemach,

Maybe when the time comes maybe a few weeks (first I have to move my spare tire to the back and that means building a rack, before I can permanently install my tank) I will take you up on your offer since I am right next door so to speak in Menlo Park. Meanwhile I will check out your pictures.

Thanks...
...Jamie
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:38 AM   #6

I would like to add a heat exchanger hot water setup to my 6.0 PSD, can anyone post pictures of where to tie in the lines to the cooling system on the 6.0L? Also, the part number/mfg for the flat plate heat exchanger?

Are these lines tied in with "T"'s into the coolant loop?

Thanks....
ARB Intensity Spot 2x Flood 2x
utahscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahscott
I would like to add a heat exchanger hot water setup to my 6.0 PSD, can anyone post pictures of where to tie in the lines to the cooling system on the 6.0L? Also, the part number/mfg for the flat plate heat exchanger?

Thanks....
Are you running a coolant filter? I'd connect on that loop if you are. The heater core hose is where you tie into for the coolant filters. Many people recommend a coolant filter for the 6.0 PSD.
ridintall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridintall
Quote:
Originally Posted by utahscott

Thanks....
Are you running a coolant filter? I'd connect on that loop if you are. The heater core hose is where you tie into for the coolant filters. Many people recommend a coolant filter for the 6.0 PSD.
No coolant filter that I know of, I need some info on what type/where to buy on that also, so there is a loop that runs to the heater core, would the heat exchanger run in parallel with this or in series?
ARB Intensity Spot 2x Flood 2x
utahscott is offline   Reply With Quote