Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2017, 02:40 PM   #1

Wood flooring thoughts

So I need to decide in the next couple days what kind of floor I want to do. I've got my subfloor finished (closed cell foam in the ribs of the floor, furing strips with foam board inbeteeen, thin sheet of plywood glued on top of furing strip frame)
I really want a wood floor, the only thing that's worrying me is that I do a bit of off-roading and just driving on rough roads, i want a floor that doesn't squeek and make noises and will hold up to some abuse. I bought a bunch of 1/2"x4" tongue and groove blue stain pine. Originally I wanted to use that for the floor, I still might, but with how nice it looks it feels wrong to cover half of it up with the counter and rest of the interior. Now I'm thinking of using the blue stain pine for all my cabinets and rest of the interior, and maybe bamboo for the floors.
Talking to the guy at the lumber store, he thought bamboo click in flooring that's glued down would be a good bet for something that's going to see some twisting and movement.

That sound like a good plan? Anyone have experience with wood floors and off-roading?

mrsa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 10:57 PM   #2

A friend of mine has pergo in his RV, and I would skip that in favor of something that won't fail if there's a water spill that you don't immediately deal with.

I don't think I'd worry about squeaking. It's not like you'll be able to hear it over the rattle of the dishes and tools.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:38 AM   #3

Garage
I just installed some vinyl wood click style floors in my van and I think its a great option. I used the brand LifeProof from Home Depot, Its 100% waterproof, super durable and looks great, I installed some cork underpad for extra sound protection and it provides a little insulating properties while also being waterproof and I glued it all down to the plywood subfloor, and glue between the cork and flooring, then trimmed off my cabinets/edges with some aluminum and stainless screws. I am happy with the results, its not squeaky at all. there are more pics in this thread http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...y-19512-4.html

nemesisnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 11:05 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesisnight View Post
I just installed some vinyl wood click style floors in my van and I think its a great option. I used the brand LifeProof from Home Depot, Its 100% waterproof, super durable and looks great, I installed some cork underpad for extra sound protection and it provides a little insulating properties while also being waterproof and I glued it all down to the plywood subfloor, and glue between the cork and flooring, then trimmed off my cabinets/edges with some aluminum and stainless screws. I am happy with the results, its not squeaky at all. there are more pics in this thread http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...y-19512-4.html

Yeah i was looking at something similar, i think. I think it was called engineered click in flooring. It was a thin layer of bamboo on top, and some other material underneath. 1/2" thick total. waterproof, and apparently very tough.
Anyway, thats what i'm leaning towards at the moment. I might be able to seal up my blue stain pine enough to resist spills and everything, but i think its better suited for cabinetry and everything else that isnt the floor.
mrsa1 is offline   Reply With Quote