Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2020, 03:47 AM   #21

Garage
Excellent information Chinook. Sounds like arctictraveler is running stock brakes but the thermal expansion may be why he is experiencing the problem. Maybe the master cylinder or proportioning valve are malfunctioning. Don't know how to test for this.

Don't know if the front brakes are stock or larger, but if larger than stock, the weak link, so to speak, could be the back brakes.

Old 06-05-2020, 06:51 AM   #22
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
I've done the brake upgrade using 2008 brake parts which include larger front calipers, used the entire stock system including master cylinder and factory hard lines although I did change the front flexible lines due no interchangeability between the pre-'08 lines.

I've had zero issues with excessive pad wear, front or rear. I don't fully subscribe to the fluid level being affected by heat and causing AT's issue. I would consider 1Der's idea about rear caliper mounts as that seems a bit more plausible to me ONLY because I'm using the parts thought to cause the fluid level issues.

Just my $0.02 worth mind you.................
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 07:25 AM   #23

My van eats brake pads about once a year as well. 1996 with rear drums and ABS.

The stock Ford brakes suck and i just roll with it at this point. Mushy pedal, heavy van, and linkage steering. It isn't a race car that is for sure.
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 08:28 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinook View Post
Thermal expansion of brake fluid is not a hypothesis, its a proven scientific fact of thermal dynamics and the laws of physics. Some brake systems can reach temperatures of 1200 degrees. But ok...

I can provide you a link to a guy experiencing this exact issue with his dodge pickup right now on youtube after swapping out his rear axle to one with bigger brakes. But im not going to try to brow beat you into understanding the laws of thermal dynamics as they apply to fluid expansion, pressure increases, and volume in an enclosed system of pipe or tubes.
We're talking about STOCK brake components. Getting into hydraulic systems theory in this thread in not applicable IMO. Plus, since Ford switched to rear disc brakes in '99, there is NO check valve in the master cylinder. It will backflow until it reaches reservoir capacity (at which point, it would like just pop the cap off).
Old 06-05-2020, 06:06 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
You could solve this by finally replacing that semi-float and putting on a real axle. You know you’re about 500 miles from a wheel coming off!

Your good ideas are costing me money.............
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 05:38 AM   #26
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
Oh yeah--we love to spread our "costing me money" agony around here.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 08:29 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
While you’ve got the axle off you should replace the leaf springs so you don’t have saggy butt.

See? I’m being helpful!
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 09:40 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
While you’ve got the axle off you should replace the leaf springs so you don’t have saggy butt. See? I’m being helpful!
Actually, it's more that the front is higher, than the back is too low. Anyway, as you know, all the springs front and rear are new, so at this point, it's a question of how to raise the back. With the new axle load capacity there's little doubt I'll be adding more weight resulting in even more rear sag. I'll probably add a leaf or two, plus an over load leaf I already have, left over from Agile. Then that brings up the issue of shock stroke, and probably longer shocks. Your great ideas keep ratcheting up the cost of a simple differential replacement, and I keep trying to think of ways to help spend your money, but so far you seem to already have all the bases covered, but I haven't given up yet.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 10:28 PM   #29
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Yes, I had to get a different set of shocks from agile after my full float went in.....your semi-float set will not be compatible, sorry to say.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 11:11 PM   #30

These look nice.
Attached Thumbnails
C8587554-B718-4FA2-93DE-D792CE9CF76F.jpeg  
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote