Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2017, 10:02 PM   #131

Man, that is a catastrophic blowout. Just glad minimal damage and nobody hurt.

I would take a long look at the other tires. If the rubber is cracking then ditch em all. It'll be small cracks, especially between the lugs where it turns to sidewall. UV kills tires. Could have been something else in play, but I don't mean to absolve BFG at all.

I am pretty weird about tires and replace them usually too soon. A lot of that has to do with snow driving in the Sierra.

Old 04-03-2017, 12:17 PM   #132
Site Team

Garage
Maybe I missed it but were they "E" rated. Is your van heavy?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 12:39 PM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
Maybe I missed it but were they "E" rated. Is your van heavy?
Sorry. I didn't specify that. These are E rated tires and my van is a standard SMB RB50 build with a 10 gallon water tank. I haven't had it weighed yet but I would think less than 10K lbs.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk
Old 04-10-2017, 11:26 PM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by rltilley View Post
Sorry. I didn't specify that. These are E rated tires and my van is a standard SMB RB50 build with a 10 gallon water tank. I haven't had it weighed yet but I would think less than 10K lbs.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

Just as a follow up, I ended up replacing all tires on the van including the spare with new KO2's which I'll hopefully have no issues with. I saw no cracking on any of the old tires and all were manufactured in 2012 so about 4 years old. The tire that did fail gets the most sun when parked so I'll be looking into wheel covers to use when it's parked.

The guy at Discount Tire said he saw no sign that any foreign object caused the flat and that it appears to have had the tread simply delaminate. He said it's the only such failure he has seen with a BFG. I did get most of the value of the tire as a credit since there was only 9,000 miles on it. So, $1,250 later I have new shoes which will hopefully last me a while. Now, to replace the Bushwacker flare the blowout took with it...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-17-2017, 07:30 AM   #135

Garage
This happens only when the tire is underpressured or the weight on it to high for the speed. It's likely what's called a slow puncture. You it a nail or something else, then the pressure starts to decrease slowly (so you cannot feel anything driving it on highway, then temps get to high for the tire which ends by a break of the flancs or/and a detachment of the tread. That's quite common and it explains why modern cars now have full time pressure monitoring device...
Had exactly the same issue with VivaLaVida two years ago.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:38 AM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pschitt View Post
This happens only when the tire is underpressured or the weight on it to high for the speed. It's likely what's called a slow puncture. You it a nail or something else, then the pressure starts to decrease slowly (so you cannot feel anything driving it on highway, then temps get to high for the tire which ends by a break of the flancs or/and a detachment of the tread. That's quite common and it explains why modern cars now have full time pressure monitoring device...
Had exactly the same issue with VivaLaVida two years ago.
If that's the case, these tire pressure monitoring systems look like a good idea.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01LA...itoring+system
Old 04-17-2017, 10:09 AM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by caideN View Post
If that's the case, these tire pressure monitoring systems look like a good idea.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01LA...itoring+system
That looks like an interesting system and it gets great reviews. I do wonder how it indicates tire temp's as it's screwed to the valve stem. I would think that by the time the stem got hot, the tire would be well beyond it's limits. Anyway, since I developed a slow leak on my last trip and didn't know until the handling went South, I'll look into this system. Thanks............
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:22 PM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
That looks like an interesting system and it gets great reviews. I do wonder how it indicates tire temp's as it's screwed to the valve stem. I would think that by the time the stem got hot, the tire would be well beyond it's limits. Anyway, since I developed a slow leak on my last trip and didn't know until the handling went South, I'll look into this system. Thanks............
It's ironic because I received the air pressure monitoring system from Amazon today but someone hit and run'd my van and popped the tire...
Old 04-23-2017, 05:47 PM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by rltilley View Post
I just had a BFG All Terrain T/A failure on the way home from Idyllwild today. We were doing about 70 mph in the slow lane when we heard a loud boom and the handling got instantly squirrely. I was able to pull over to the side and this is what I found:

I saw nothing on the highway and don't believe I ran over anything. Only 9,000 miles on the tires and no flat fixes on this one. Pressure was about 65 psi and temps were maybe 75 along this stretch. We were lucky this did not happen on the front tire and are now a bit reluctant to trust the rest. I will likely end up replacing all tires with something else. I lost the Bushwacker flare and hope it did not hit anybody on the road. I also lost the end cap of the running board but no body damage seems to have occurred.

Any ideas what could have caused this? The tread looks to have delaminated in the center of the tire but left the outside still attached. Higher resolution pictures are here:

https://roberttilley.smugmug.com/BF-...in-TA-Failure/

So I replaced the Bushwacker flare yesterday and I was crawling around under the van I can see that my rear Aluminess bumper got some damage that looks like it was from the tread of the tire. The bumper actually looks like it was hit from behind but there are tread marks on it so I assume the tread kicked up into the bumper and pushed it in a bit.

It's not very noticeable and, although it looks to have hit one rear light and a backup sensor, everything works still. Pretty crazy how much damage a tire can do. Makes me even more nervous about driving next to big rigs on the highway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-23-2017, 11:03 PM   #140

From the pics it appears those are previous generation BFGs. The tread is similar between the two but the KO2 wraps the tread over the sidewall more. So, supposedly the stouter sidewalls should help. I

didn't know this but have been doing some tire research lately and BFG is owned by Michelin and their high end stuff is made in US or Canada. Glad things turned out ok for ya.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote