Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2011, 11:29 AM   #21

Re: Yet another BFG Tire fail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogone
Jage, I gotta admit that I can't believe any other tire company can continue to exist with Toyo in the game. It ain't about cost or the venerable old brand names, they are just plain better than anything out there. I put 3800 miles on 'em, last time out, in the worst conditions possible, passed dozens of other vehicles w/ flats after floggin' them Toyos at 75+ mph, and I didn't even carry a spare. Nuff sed

Now tell all the nice folks what you replaced yours with
And you know why they are so good because ....? There is no evidence out there to substantiate this. For example I drove 30K miles on an unrated LT set of Michelins without a problem. I only changed to the E rated tires because its the right thing and I was starting to get belt separation evident by uncurable front wheel imbalance. It was the correct load rated relatively new tire that blew out. Not the old - 6 years, unrated, overloaded, version.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:20 PM   #22

I know why they are so good because... if you ever just look at them, it is clear that there is a major difference between them and any other tire that I have seen. I live in the Deep South where an extraordinary number of vehicles have something other than oem street tires, so I get a look at a lot of "upgrade" tires. My opinion is only my opinion, Toyos are remarkably well made. I wouldn't trade them for two sets of anything else.

Ima say that evidence is in this Forum, in that I don't recall seeing a thread about a bunch of failures from Toyos, only compliments. In another way, the quality is somewhat evident in the pricing and availability.

Sorry about the Michelins, but I'm willing to bet my Toyos that at some point Michelin changed their formulation and the tire quality suffered... happening all over the world as price competition seems to be the name of the game. Seems Toyo doesn't have to compete on price. Kinda like MB Sprinters.
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:30 PM   #23

BTW, Jage "got rid" of his because he sold them to me to get a less aggressive tread than the MT's. He also was looking to get a bit taller that 33's, and if memory serves, he ended up with a 34" Nitto AT as most of his mileage is not offroad nor is he around much clay mud in the Great West.
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
Old 08-21-2011, 01:13 PM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
...Ima say that evidence is in this Forum, in that I don't recall seeing a thread about a bunch of failures from Toyos, only compliments. In another way, the quality is somewhat evident in the pricing and availability.
Well, from a completely unscientific sampling, I'd say 80% or more of SMB leave the plants with BFG's installed, and the overall BFG population is probably between five to ten times that of Toyo's. You're going to see a larger number of problems with a larger population. Now if you find evidence that the failure rate is larger with BFG's, that's the statistic that matters.

Herb
Old 08-21-2011, 01:36 PM   #25

Aaight you got me! I have no scientific sampling either, but I'd bet that SMB makes choices based on price... and the probability that most owners aren't seeking MT capability and the associated downsides (noise, perceived treadlife, aggressive look, etc). Really believe it has a lot to do with price. Truth is, I prolly wouldn't have bought them, having never run 'em before, if I hadn't got the set from Jage w~10K on them, because they are way spendy compared to others. I have owned many many sets of MT tires before these from just as many different brands, and (once again my opinion) I'll never go to any other having had them for 5000 of the roughest miles I've ever driven in a row (had a contract for a Rural Postal Route for six years on NO pavement, can't touch the roughness of the paved roads in the Northeast as they are currently).

As to failure rate... this Forum as the sample, I find reports of many BFG fails, no Toyo fails making the rate of failure w/ Toyo zero. That, fellas, is a significant statistic.

Lets hear from the failed Toyo folks now...
Old 08-21-2011, 04:34 PM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
As to failure rate... this Forum as the sample, I find reports of many BFG fails, no Toyo fails making the rate of failure w/ Toyo zero. That, fellas, is a significant statistic.
With what I believe to be a VERY small sample size (at least versus BFG sample size), it is NOT a significant statistic, and the two pieces of data cannot be compared.

I haven't heard anyone with BFG Krawler Red Label tires talking about a failure, so their failure rate is zero as well. The fact that I doubt anyone with an SMB has Krawler Red Labels is irrelevant using your thought process.

Herb
Old 08-21-2011, 04:58 PM   #27

With all due respect Bronc, get me some folks to tell about their Toyo fails and I'll shut the f%$k up... BFG ATs and BFG Krawler Red Labels ain't the same thing, like Toyos and tank tracks ain't the same thing.

Sorry to get yer fluff up, I just like them raggedy ol' Toyos if thats OK. You can keep your BFG's if you want to, it is fine with me.

BTW, the thread title is "YET ANOTHER(my caps) BFG Tire fail." I only wanted to point out that there may be an alternative. I've owned BFG ATs before and they were on par with any other soft-sidewalled, shallow-treaded SUV tires I've had. Let's have a cool one sometime/where and really sort it out, Bro
Old 08-21-2011, 06:05 PM   #28
Site Team

I have no issue with any tires anybody runs. Who knows, I might go with Toyos in the future. I just have issue with drawing conclusions from what I consider to be faulty statistics.

I do agree that a cool one, preferably around a campfire, would be the best way to sort this out, or at least beat it to death once and for all.

Herb
Old 08-21-2011, 07:07 PM   #29

Toyo Tires are quite hard to find. Few dealers and not carried by Tire Rack. Add that to what I guess is the lowest OEM penetration means they are almost invisible as a truck tire. So we hardly have a basis for even suggesting they offer better quality. Now if one follows the adage that if it looks good, then it must be good ... Well I suppose that is the end of this discussion. Never mind the number of belts or the quality of the vulcanization or even the carbon black content.

Muff said this could easily degenerate into the usual internet blather of mine being better than yours because I sash so !

On another subject though raised by this thread - I had no idea that SMB got to specify the tires delivered ? They never offer this as a feature other than the assertion that most of us must have Load Rating E tires to stay within the SMB certification and legal.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:26 PM   #30

Mr. Herb, I hate to be like this 'cause really, I'd rather have the cold ones wit ya ( and will if there's a way). However, using your own tag/signature quote, as related to my faulty statistics; well, zero reported fails... "it isn't a fault, its a feature".

Mr. vlamglat... price may keep them out of Tire Rack and penetration as OEM. I know nothing of SMB specs on tires delivered, I'm just interested in the tires I have.

I have put up a thread asking for reports of Toyo failures. As of this writing, still zero. What do you want me to say to make the "Yet another BFG Tire fail" thread go away?

Dang y'all! I'm gonna get off this now and really try not to report on stuff that works well for me in the future... 'course that may not work either Goodnight