Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2014, 03:26 PM   #171

Re: Z's Fiamma Awning Brackets

rallypanam - I think the other two brackets are basically the same except for the middle one does not have a lip at the top. I don't think mine are different where they mount to the van body.

86Scotty - I got the awning from cascadia tents. The expedition portal website had a group buy at 30% off. I couldn't pass up the awning for about $280 delivered. I got the 99" one.
http://cascadiatents.com/Awnings_Mes...htm?m=84&s=585

Old 05-21-2014, 04:43 PM   #172

Garage

These are the covers that SMB uses to cover the penthouse bolts. Unfortunately you have to buy them in sets of 50. I added them to the front and back side of the brackets so the penthouse gasket doesn't rip on the bolt or nut (depending on which way you installed it). Also looks cleaner.

http://www.dkhardware.com/product-83...on-washer.html
http://www.dkhardware.com/product-12...r-buttons.html

Old 05-21-2014, 04:52 PM   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapatio
These are the covers that SMB uses to cover the penthouse bolts. Unfortunately you have to buy them in sets of 50.
So you want to sell me a handful?
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 06:28 PM   #174

Here's mine, in what I'm assuming is the correct order, front (top) to back (bottom).

Old 05-21-2014, 06:49 PM   #175

Your bracket order looks right to me. That is what I did.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:13 PM   #176

Finally put my Z's brackets on this weekend. Fine pieces of hardware if I might say so.

The hardest part was getting those cheeseball rubber nuts out from the SMB brackets.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:58 PM   #177

Anyone else have an issue with the middle bracket? Not sure how to describe it, but when the awning is hanging on the cleats in the two outside brackets, the middle of the bracket doesn't fit flush with the back of tee middle bracket.. Almost like the awning is sagging in the middle, or the middle bracket is too tall.

Is it just me!
Old 06-03-2014, 11:18 PM   #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam
Anyone else have an issue with the middle bracket? Not sure how to describe it, but when the awning is hanging on the cleats in the two outside brackets, the middle of the bracket doesn't fit flush with the back of tee middle bracket.. Almost like the awning is sagging in the middle, or the middle bracket is too tall.

Is it just me!
No, I didn't have this problem, but as I was messing around with the position of the aft bracket, I did notice that if it is placed too far forward, it moves the back of the awning out (and also the middle of the tube farther away from the bracket).
As I moved the aft bracket backward, the curve of the body gets a little narrower and brings the back of the awning inboard. Moving the aft bracket too far aft made the middle bracket not sit right against the body.
Putting the brackets right where the SMB brackets were resulted in the best fit on my van. The fwd bracket is almost all the way to the front of the awning tube and the aft bracket is maybe a foot fwd of the aft end of the awning.

Hope that helps.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:54 PM   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogusBlake
No, I didn't have this problem, but as I was messing around with the position of the aft bracket, I did notice that if it is placed too far forward, it moves the back of the awning out (and also the middle of the tube farther away from the bracket).
As I moved the aft bracket backward, the curve of the body gets a little narrower and brings the back of the awning inboard. Moving the aft bracket too far aft made the middle bracket not sit right against the body.
Putting the brackets right where the SMB brackets were resulted in the best fit on my van. The fwd bracket is almost all the way to the front of the awning tube and the aft bracket is maybe a foot fwd of the aft end of the awning.

Hope that helps.
That makes sense.. Maybe I just need to play with the location of the aft bracket. Front and middle are more or less fixed, but the aft I can move forward or back.. I'll try that tonight and see if it lines up better.

If not I can swap middle and aft and that would solve the problem I think. Just makes install a little harder is it wouldn't hang on the cleats as easily.
Old 06-07-2014, 03:55 PM   #180

Well crap, I'm stumped.

Moving the rear bracket forwards and backwards does nothing, awning still won't hang on the cleats front and rear as it hits the middle bracket outside the gutter, not above it.

Swapped middle bracket and rear bracket and that would work - but the whole awning angles up in the back because the new middle bracket sits up tall.

Not sure what my next move is, except maybe hang the awning on the front and rear brackets, then try to insert the middle bracket after the fact..

...but I'm quitting for the day, I need to get the prime rib on the grill and have a beer.