Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2021, 06:32 PM   #1

2000 E150 Auxiliary battery question.

I have a 2000 E150 that I recently purchased that has an auxiliary battery located underneath outside the frame rails just behind the side door. It looks like it is a factory unit but not sure. Does anyone know how to get at this thing? Sorry about the sideways pics that's how they ended up not matter which way the originals were orientated.
Attached Thumbnails
20210427_183826.jpg   20210427_183641.jpg  

Vanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 06:42 PM   #2

I just installed two of these from Ebay. They are factory.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254781488306

If you look closely you will see that there are 4 bolts (two on each side) holding the box to the frame. There are also two safety cables to avoid the battery dropping to the floor.

Of the 4 total bolts, 3 of them have slotted holes corresponding to the respective holes in the frame of the box. That leaves one bolt without a slot.

To remove the boxes, the non-slotted bolt needs to be removed entirely. The other three only need to be loosened so that you can slide the box so the slotted holes in the box frames can come off the loosened bolts.

Warning the battery weighs about 75 lbs and will drop when you get out of those slots. That is what the restraining cables are for.

After the battery box is hanging you can remove the top or remove the restraining cables and lower the whole box (using a jack or something else). I have not tried to put a battery in or out of a hanging box although it looks possible it might be wiser to lower the whole box.

I have a hydraulic table that I plan to lower both my two boxes in unison. There is a pretty long service cable from the factory that connects the aux battery to the Car battery. I did something different.

I would practice reinstalling the box while it is empty so you know what is required.
posplayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 08:54 PM   #3

Thanks that's kind of what I was thinking. Do you have any idea how this is wired? Does the aux battery power any of the vehicle accessories when the engine is off or is it isolated from the rest of the vehicle when the ignition is off? Does the starter draw power from both batteries when starting?
Vanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 01:00 AM   #4

the details of the electrical connections are in the FSM, but in general, the aux battery is intended to power a trailer
posplayr is offline   Reply With Quote