Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2018, 07:29 PM   #1

2001 7.3 e350 ambulance

Hello all. I need some help..
In this retired ambulance as soon as glow plugs warm up and I turn over ignition the alternator light turns on.
Looking into getting a battery isolator . Hopefully coul keep my two starting battery’s full. Then be able to use my 200 watts of solar to charge some agm batteries and power the House.
Also would like to be able to still jump myself off with the emergency start feature and have all batteries wired in parallel . Just use the alternator optionally to charge house batteries on a cloudy day if needed. But starting batteries should never fail.
I’ve heard of a blue acr battery isolator but need some help on where to install...
Any suggestions? I can put up pictures

AmboRambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 07:31 PM   #2

Also I know there is a swap/ meet up soon. I’m in Texas. Looking for rear pop out windows if anyone might be holding extras and willing to sale and ship.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:37 PM   #3

. In most modern systems, the electrical current passing through the filament of the warning light is what energizes a circuit in the alternator to start charging.

To check the warning light circuit, turn the ignition switch to the “on” position without cranking or starting the engine; if the idiot light does not come on, remove the plug from the alternator and ground the sense wire (wire connected to the bulb). If the light comes on, the wiring is okay but the alternator is defective; if the light still does not come on, the wiring to the light circuit and the bulb should be checked.
Don’t forget to check the fuse that controls the light circuit, too.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 10:04 PM   #4

The BS 7622 will do exactly what you are describing. As for optionally charging, just let it charge whenever you have the motor running. Batteries like to be ABC (always be charging).
But before you install that, get the vehicle's charging system up to par first.
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 10:07 PM   #5

If the alternator light goes on, it could be as simple as weak starter batteries, poor connection or time to replace the altenator.
Start with the free stuff first and work your way up the ladder.
Old 06-06-2018, 05:52 AM   #6

Th weird thing is that it seemed like my house batteries or even just the second starting battery. Wasn’t charging fully so needed replacing. The last few days I have t had to jump the van off to get it started. I think maybe the alternator light coming on after glow plugs warm then how it turns off once truck is started might be normal
Old 06-06-2018, 06:57 AM   #7

But still looking into isolating house batteries . 2 agm deep cycles probalay 125 ah . Don’t know about either the bs7622 basso mentoneq.? Which is a separator instead of an isolator. But I think that could be what I need since the batteries are are ran in parallel
Old 06-06-2018, 11:02 AM   #8

http://assets.bluesea.com/files/reso...am/ML-ACRs.jpg

Need some help figuring this out.
I have one battery under the hood and another starting battery on frame rail in battery box. The two agm deep cycle house batteries will be next to the second starting battery . Trying to figure out how to connect this all together . Or if the switch that comes with it could be mounted inside my my other gauges.
Old 06-06-2018, 06:56 PM   #9

It's Bbasso or Rob, thanks.
Here is the BS7622 product page: https://www.bluesea.com/products/762..._-_12V_DC_500A
Some info from their site.
500 Amp magnetic latching (bi-stable) relay automatically combines batteries during charging and isolates batteries when discharging and when starting engine
Manual control switch provides an added level of safety allowing control with or without power, and offering LOCK OFF capability for servicing
Includes ML-Series Remote Control Contura Switch PN 2146
Automatically manages the charging of two large battery banks
Allows paralleling of battery banks for emergency starting
500 Ampere continuous rating to support high-output alternators
Magnetic Latch (ML)—ACR draws very low current (<40mA to monitor terminal voltage) in the "ON" or "OFF" states, and draws moderate current for very short time when changing state
Dual sensing—senses charge on both battery banks
Start Isolation (SI)—can be configured for temporary isolation of House loads from Engine circuit during engine cranking to protect sensitive electronics
Engine Isolation (EI)—can be configured for isolation of two engines while both are running to protect engine electronics and maximize alternator output
Senses charging on two battery banks
LED output to remotely indicate when batteries are combined, isolated, in voltage lockout, or in Start or Engine isolation
Old 06-06-2018, 06:58 PM   #10

The 7622 goes between the frame mounted starter battery and the house battery. The switch should be mounted in reach of the driver's position.

Tags
7.3, ambullance, battery isolator, no start, solar