Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2010, 11:14 AM   #1

2005 e350 diesel and separator

For the wiring of a separator in a 2005 ford e350 diesel: does anyone know where the connection point is in the e350 for the small wire that runs from the separator to the start switch?

I'm not sure yet, but will probably go with a Bluesea automatic charging relay #7622. If anyone has installed one of these in a ford diesel with the two starting batteries on the frame I'd be interested in knowing what size cable was used, where the relay was positioned, fuse sizes and positions, and what kind of problems there were hooking the acr's wires to the second starting battery. Since this acr is bidirectional, ideally I'd like to use a terminal fuse on each end of the positive wire that will run from the second startup battery to the house battery with the acr somewhere inbetween. But in the second startup battery box I'm wondering if there is room for a terminal fuse and the new cable to the house battery because the second startup battery box aleady contains the parallel cables connecting to the first start up battery plus the cables to the jump start connections on the frame.

Thanks for your help on this stuff. I'm a novice and this forum has been very helpful.

forde350diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:37 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: 2005 e350 diesel and separator

I don't have any heavy fuses between the chassis battery and the house system. I'm running #6 copper if I remember correctly but wish SMB used #2. (SMB swapped out my Surepower to the Blue Sea) Here is how my ACR is hooked up. The fuses shown are low amp fuses. The relay should be located where you can access the relay's manual switch located on top of the ACR. I also have the secondary control switch which is shown on the right.

Attached Thumbnails
Blue sea 1.JPG  

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 06:14 PM   #3

Re: 2005 e350 diesel and separator

Quote:
Originally Posted by forde350diesel
For the wiring of a separator in a 2005 ford e350 diesel: does anyone know where the connection point is in the e350 for the small wire that runs from the separator to the start switch?

I'm not sure yet, but will probably go with a Bluesea automatic charging relay #7622. If anyone has installed one of these in a ford diesel with the two starting batteries on the frame I'd be interested in knowing what size cable was used, where the relay was positioned, fuse sizes and positions, and what kind of problems there were hooking the acr's wires to the second starting battery. Since this acr is bidirectional, ideally I'd like to use a terminal fuse on each end of the positive wire that will run from the second startup battery to the house battery with the acr somewhere inbetween. But in the second startup battery box I'm wondering if there is room for a terminal fuse and the new cable to the house battery because the second startup battery box aleady contains the parallel cables connecting to the first start up battery plus the cables to the jump start connections on the frame.

Thanks for your help on this stuff. I'm a novice and this forum has been very helpful.
Put the Blue Sea charging relay next to the starting batteries, used Gauge 0 wire between all the batteries so I can jump my self and not have to wait 30mins, fuse at each battery. So the run between the starter and house batteries has 2 fuses.
Fuse is there to protect the wire as much as the device, and if you just put one at one end, it's pointless as any short in the G0 wire betwen the batteries will never trip the fuse and will always be hot, you have to have 2 fuses so you protect the wire from each set of batteries. I used ANL fuses 300 amps in waterproof housings.

Can't help with the starting wire, as I never bothered to wire that option up, as I don't have anything that's susceptible to cranking amp problems.

Starter battery side. 1 blue wire (and fuse) is from the house battery, the other runs to the inside equipment. Other side to the bluesea relay runs to the jump post off the starting batteries.

House battery is mounted on the frame in a stock ford box, just on the other frame rail. The other fuse and jump post

I really dislike those fuse holders and will be using the Blue Sea ones. Only problem is they are not water / dust proof, but that's not a huge problem.
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote