Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2020, 08:36 PM   #1

2005 E350 Headlights Not Working - Help!

The other day I noticed that my left side, sealed beam headlight wasn't working on either high and low but the right side was. I forgot to check high vs. low on the right side. I haven't been driving at night so I have no idea when it failed.

I purchased two replacement sealed beam lamps, H6054 since Autozone didn't have the H5054s specified in my owners manual. The lamp I removed from the left side was an H6054 but I haven't checked the right side. I installed the new left side lamp. When I turned on the headlight switch to test it, not only did it not work (high and low) but the previously working right side wasn't either (high and low). I haven't yet replaced the right side. In addition:

A. The parking and tail lights work fine.
C. The high beam indicator lights up but does so in both the high and low beam positions of the turn signal lever.
D. Using my multimeter, I checked the connector on the left side and couldn't find any voltage present with the headlight switch was on.

I've checked the following fuses both visually and with a multimeter and all are OK:

Passenger Compartment Fuse Panel

#6 Brake-shift interlock, Daytime Running Lamps (DRL) module

#10 Main light switch, Park lamps, License lamp (external lamps), Multi
function switch (flash-to-pass)

#25 Left headlamp (low beam)

#30 Headlamps (high beam indicator)

#31 Right headlamp (low beam)

Power Distribution Box (under the hood)- Since all these larger fuses have exposed terminal ends, I checked all of them with a multimeter and all are OK.

I have yet to check the headlight switch and will, but I was wondering if there is any other single point of failure that I've missed that could affect both the right and left headlights as described.

I'm hoping there's a simple fix since I really don't want to take it in to the local Ford dealer and pay them hours of labor to troubleshoot it.

Thanks.

BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 09:03 AM   #2

Doesn't anybody have any suggestions?
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 09:53 AM   #3

I think the difference between the two lights is the pinout. Ford switches the low beam and ground pins, from what everybody else does. I've had to go through this exercise anytime I've put in aftermarket bulbs.

So you'll need to either find the correct bulbs, or swap your ground and low beam pins in the connectors. I'd suggest getting the correct bulbs, because trying to re-pin an old connector will probably break them, since they get brittle with age & heat. If you buy LED replacements (highly recommended!) you can re-pin the bulb's connector instead.