Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2021, 02:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalf77 View Post
The large silver device is a "Converter" Converts 110 power to 12 volts, with the charge wizard it loosely becomes battery charger. A inverter will take 12 volts and produce 110 power, I do not see a inverter in any of the pictures.

Yes, the sensors one is probably propane, and one CO are always powered on and using battery power. Typically the sensors are on a smaller (3 amp) fuse, but I see the smallest you have is 10, so I/m not sure what they did. If storing for a long time you can pull the fuse to the sensors. Some builds have a disconnect switch, but this is not a normally installed feature by sportsmobile.

At this time the voltages on the surepower indicate no charge going on, one side is your house battery and one side is your starting batteries. Both are low at this time.

There is a video in this like that explains how the surepower works https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...5-a-14502.html

Try plugging in and see if the converter works

-greg
Full disclosure, this is my first time dealing with "RV" type setups to include inverters and/or converters.

I plugged into shore power and everything works wonderfully. The two 110v outlets are active.

Also, the solar charge controller went from about 12.5v reading to 13.6v while plugged in.

Using my multimeter, I read 13.53v on both posts of the surepower solenoid. Thank you for sharing that video, very helpful.

So I think we have determined that I have a converter, and not an inverter, and therefore the 110v outlets should not be expected to work in the current configuration.

If I want 110v power while boondocked, I would need an inverter.

So now, I need to find out where that 100A circuit breaker belongs and get it replaced.

leblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 07:28 PM   #12
Orv

Garage
The terminology is confusing at first, and doesn't make a lot of logical sense. (An inverter isn't "inverting" anything.)

In non-RV terms, a "converter" is a power supply and battery charger that converts 120V AC to nominal 12V DC.

An "inverter" is a DC-to-AC converter, 12V to 120V.
Old 03-09-2021, 09:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by leblanc View Post
Full disclosure, this is my first time dealing with "RV" type setups to include inverters and/or converters.

I plugged into shore power and everything works wonderfully. The two 110v outlets are active.

Also, the solar charge controller went from about 12.5v reading to 13.6v while plugged in.

Using my multimeter, I read 13.53v on both posts of the surepower solenoid. Thank you for sharing that video, very helpful.

So I think we have determined that I have a converter, and not an inverter, and therefore the 110v outlets should not be expected to work in the current configuration.

If I want 110v power while boondocked, I would need an inverter.

So now, I need to find out where that 100A circuit breaker belongs and get it replaced.
Comparing this post to your first post, congrats!, you've already learned a lot. If you are going to keep and love this rig I would recommend updating a lot of this stuff, like that big canister solenoid on the outside covered with mud. I prefer stuff like that indoors, clean and shiny. I cannot see it lasting that long bathed in mud. I'm really unsure why it is there though. It's common on RV's but I've never seen one on an SMB.

Also, your detectors look to be original. They are shot by now. Read the fine print on them and you'll see 'replace by 2005' or something alarming like that. See what I did there? These things need updating STAT! They are cheap, don't worry.

So, I'm guessing by the battery setup that this is a diesel van. Give us the year and we can tell you more about it.

Your solar is showing higher voltage when plugged in because it's simply a readout of the house battery voltage in that setting. You can probably fool around with the settings to show you other things like AH of voltage you're getting from the solar, etc. If you park your van in the sun does that readout start to ramp up? It should. This will basically tell you that the solar system is working properly.

You should've gotten a big book with manuals on all of this stuff with the van. Sure it isn't in there somewhere? These vans have a million cubbies. Keep looking.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 10:02 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by leblanc View Post
Brian, you're right. I traced the large gauge wire from that solenoid up to the starter. So, I do believe that's the starter solenoid, but also probably tied into the onboard air compressor as there are a couple of other leads coming off of it that get wrapped into the larger conduit.
I find that to be kind of interesting, or perhaps strange. Starters have their own solenoid built in (or, on the side, typically), so I don't quite understand why this one would be in-line to the engine starter (someone correct me if I'm wrong about the starter in leblanc's engine model). The connection to the air compressor makes sense, as a power hungry motor will perform better (and last longer) with electromagnetic current (same reason why I've wired winches through a solenoid; it also helps the DC electricity travel longer distances without the tremendous energy loss). I'm curious if you have an unknown switch somewhere that turns this solenoid on/off? I think it's unusual for them to be continuously "on". That may or may not be related to your other electrical issues.

For safety (arcing and fire prevention), I recommend reinstalling the circuit breaker to the house batter asap.
Old 03-10-2021, 04:14 PM   #15
Orv

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVerhulst View Post
I find that to be kind of interesting, or perhaps strange. Starters have their own solenoid built in (or, on the side, typically), so I don't quite understand why this one would be in-line to the engine starter (someone correct me if I'm wrong about the starter in leblanc's engine model)
It's a Ford thing. They have a remote-mounted solenoid (actually a contactor) to switch power to the starter. I don't know where the normal location is on a 2006, though; that may be one that's being used for some other purpose. Since it's basically a high-current relay they can be used for all sorts of things. Older SMB builds used them for battery isolation, for example.
Old 03-10-2021, 05:40 PM   #16

You said that the air compressor works? Can you trace the power from the air compressor back to a battery source? There should be a breaker between the source and the compressor. Is it possible that they just wired around it when they repaired.

If it really is disconnected the something shouldn't be working. Being that it was installed outside, it would have most likely gone to something on the outside. It does not look like it is part of a "basic build" so it would most likely be some special add-on, like a air compressor.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 06:25 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Comparing this post to your first post, congrats!, you've already learned a lot. If you are going to keep and love this rig I would recommend updating a lot of this stuff, like that big canister solenoid on the outside covered with mud. I prefer stuff like that indoors, clean and shiny. I cannot see it lasting that long bathed in mud. I'm really unsure why it is there though. It's common on RV's but I've never seen one on an SMB.

Also, your detectors look to be original. They are shot by now. Read the fine print on them and you'll see 'replace by 2005' or something alarming like that. See what I did there? These things need updating STAT! They are cheap, don't worry.

So, I'm guessing by the battery setup that this is a diesel van. Give us the year and we can tell you more about it.

Your solar is showing higher voltage when plugged in because it's simply a readout of the house battery voltage in that setting. You can probably fool around with the settings to show you other things like AH of voltage you're getting from the solar, etc. If you park your van in the sun does that readout start to ramp up? It should. This will basically tell you that the solar system is working properly.

You should've gotten a big book with manuals on all of this stuff with the van. Sure it isn't in there somewhere? These vans have a million cubbies. Keep looking.

Definitely learning a lot quickly.

I'll check out the detectors, surely they are outdated/expired.

My solar is requiring some additional troubleshooting as well. I called Zamp and they say that the controller might not be working properly as the "charging" light isn't coming on when the solar panel is in the sunlight. I asked if that's because the panel is bad, and they said "no, if the panel is bad, the controller will give you an error code. So with no error code, the panel is likely good, but the controller may be bad." I may end up purchasing a new solar controller to replace the existing one.

I do have all of the original manuals and build book for the rig.
Old 03-10-2021, 06:28 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalf77 View Post
You said that the air compressor works? Can you trace the power from the air compressor back to a battery source? There should be a breaker between the source and the compressor. Is it possible that they just wired around it when they repaired.

If it really is disconnected the something shouldn't be working. Being that it was installed outside, it would have most likely gone to something on the outside. It does not look like it is part of a "basic build" so it would most likely be some special add-on, like a air compressor.

-greg
Correct, the compressor works fine. I will trace the power wire and see how it's connected.

The seller did mention that his father in law removed the circuit breaker....and he basically direct wired whatever wires were previously going through the circuit breaker, and ordered a new one.
Old 03-10-2021, 07:07 PM   #19

Knowing that you have an air compressor does it look anything like the one in this picture?? That solenoid looks identical to the one that is displayed in this wiring diagram, as does the circuit breaker. Wondering if you have an Extreme Aire compressor and all the parts that are needed for the install. It kinda looks like you do from the pics you have already supplied. Can we get a picture of your compressor?

If that is your compressor, then I would head over to www.extremeoutbakc.com for more info on it. They have that wiring diagram I posted as well as an install instructions sheet. May help you further identify the components of your system. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210310-190319_Chrome.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	38685Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210310-190445_Chrome.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	38686
Old 03-10-2021, 07:33 PM   #20

Garage
Look at posts 7 & 8 in your other Thread
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...tml#post291760