Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2009, 09:06 PM   #1

30A to 15A converter?

Hey,

MY SMB came with a long electircal cable that I have used to connect to campsites as well as my home.

All of a sudden, I've noticed that my SMB electrical cable is 30A on both ends. I must have missplaced a 15A converter.

So, what part do I need to be able to plug my SMB into my 15A home outlet?

Thanks in advance!

Michael

mvmattheis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 06:53 AM   #2

Re: 30A to 15A converter?

commonly referred to as a dogbone looks like this http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/3 ... x?a=215812. Any good RV shop should sell them.
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:30 AM   #3

THX! I'm just mad that I've evidently lost mine.....not sure what came with the SMB. I can imagine leaving an adapter at the camp site. I think I'd remember a 'dog-bone'. What came with your SMB?

Thanks again!
mvmattheis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:46 AM   #4

I'm likely preaching to the choir here, but I use a dog-bone to connect to my garage 15A circuit and learned the hard way that if I turn on too many things at once in my all-electric Sporty, I can quickly start to draw more than 15 amps. I was cooling down the fridge for loading, heating the contents of the water heater so it wouldn't take so long when we arrived, and (summer day) decided to increase my comfort by turning on the AC. Plugged in to shore power, right? What could happen? Poof!! Threw the circuit breaker. No big deal? Shouldn't have been, but I had "temporarily" stored stuff that made it VERY hard to get to the garage box! Luckily the AC survived being shut down when starting under full load.
1972 Mercedes 350SL with 4.5l V-8, just because
Wag more, Bark less, Play well with others.
Psomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 01:15 PM   #5

I bought a Heavy Duty, kink free, indoor outdoor (10 gauge-3 conductor) Extension cord from Ridgid, cut off the 15 amp female side and installed a 30 amp female I purchased at the home depot, that way I don't have to use the bulky "dogbone" and I have a specific cord for when plugging into my 15 amp garage socket and a separate one in the van for when plugging into a 30 amp campground socket.

Disclaimer: Your van is 30 amp, you should only use the 30 amp cord that came with it. I am not recommending anyone do this, just saying what I did. I am not an electrician and am not qualified to give electrical advice. My post is only for entertainment purposes and not intended as advise or to give practical ideas.
sailquik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 02:15 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage

I basically did the same thing and made my own. I know what amperage all the items pull that I use and connect the correct cord that's needed. That is key to keep from causing damage. I only use the 15A connector for running a small fan, the refrigerator, a couple of lights, and the charger. No microwave, electric heater, air conditioner or multiple medium mid amp draw items! I've seen some nice adaptors out there but they seem fairly expensive. When in doubt use the big cord.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:59 AM   #7

Michael,
My sportsmobile came with one pretty much like the one pictured on that web site. There appears to be a variety of different kinds, but as the other guys have said in the end your taking a 30 amp cord down to 15 amp capacity. I carry mine for the occasional site that does not have 30 amp service and I want to keep the batteries topped off. I think a lot of us that plug in at home have made up a cable to use just at home, going with the heavier gauge wire then a standard 15 amp cord. Of course you are still limited by the receptacle that you plug into it.

greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:23 PM   #8

I got an adapter at West Marine a few yrs ago, that has no wires: I plug it into a regular (outdoor use) extension cord and it adapts to the fancy (presumably 30 AMP)plug-in in the van/ I use it w/household current, keep the van plugged in when parked, and,shen p acking for a trip, can power the fridge and a few lights.

The adapter was pretty cheap.

John
03 E 350, EB 50
7.3 PSD
Q4X4
SLC,UT
slfjas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:47 PM   #9
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by slfjas
I got an adapter at West Marine a few yrs ago, that has no wires: I plug it into a regular (outdoor use) extension cord and it adapts to the fancy (presumably 30 AMP)plug-in in the van/ I use it w/household current, keep the van plugged in when parked, and,shen p acking for a trip, can power the fridge and a few lights.

The adapter was pretty cheap.

John
03 E 350, EB 50
7.3 PSD
Q4X4
SLC,UT
Another thought besides load levels are if the connections are water tight. Many of the adaptors out there are designed to be used in wet weather. The cord (not the adaptor) I got from SMB was missing the water tight boot that connects to the van. If you look at the plug on the van you'll notice it is threaded. This is for a boot. So far I have not had any issues with rain, but may be another consideration. I used a 15A GFI construction link for a while that allowed me to turn the power on or off via a GFI switch. I put the GFI at the shore power Panel. If water became an issue, the GFI would trip. I had no problems with the GFI tripping in wet weather (ever) but have read that some inverters may trip it. Got it at Home Depot fairly cheap but it's still only rated at 15 amps. You still need an adaptor from 30A to the 15A GFI link.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 02:14 PM   #10

Short of having a 30 amp power outlet at home for sore power, i have found the easiest route was to get the one circuit I plug into upgraded to a 20 amp breaker. This is just sufficient to run the charger and the a/c most of the time.