Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2017, 02:59 PM   #11

That shouldnt even be trying to start with the batteries at 10.8V as that is far far too low. I would replace them just for the simple fact they are that run down currently.

I had a battery with a bad cell, could charge them ALL day long and it wouldnt show above 11.2V.

Toss two new batteries and go from there.

Gtbensley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 04:16 PM   #12

That's why I suspect the house battery is helping with a jump. I toss my starting batteries every 2 to 3 years. That's about when resting voltage hits 12.5. If anything for peace of mind.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 12:19 PM   #13
MSD

Garage
So I had this same issue, we replaced the batteries & was still having this issue.

Put a new MotorCraft 140amp alt in, went bad in a month. Stranded us on a trip during a holiday weekend but luckily a local Ford dealer put in a Napa. I just wanted to be able to get home. Was going to change it out but since it's a tight spot & a pain to replace I figure let's see how long it lasts. It lasted less than a year. I ordered a Quick Start high output HD160 & we've had no issues since... best $279.95 spent, plus a few hours of busting my knuckles.

If you need a new alternator I'd go with alternatorparts.com & get the Ford 6G HD large case 160amp or bigger alt. if you want or already have upgraded larger wiring.

Side note Houska Auto who said don't put anything in other than motorcraft wasn't to happy when the had to refund my money for their work, plus tow & labor for other install but did it. The charged $387.49 for a reman alt. Pretty crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 01:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSD View Post
So I had this same issue, we replaced the batteries & was still having this issue.

Put a new MotorCraft 140amp alt in, went bad in a month. Stranded us on a trip during a holiday weekend but luckily a local Ford dealer put in a Napa. I just wanted to be able to get home. Was going to change it out but since it's a tight spot & a pain to replace I figure let's see how long it lasts. It lasted less than a year. I ordered a Quick Start high output HD160 & we've had no issues since... best $279.95 spent, plus a few hours of busting my knuckles.

If you need a new alternator I'd go with alternatorparts.com & get the Ford 6G HD large case 160amp or bigger alt. if you want or already have upgraded larger wiring.
Just say'n but your new Motorcraft was most likely a reman. Unless it was old stock or something and came in a blue box you can't buy a "new" alternator from Ford. They're all remans from Mexico.

If I didn't already have a DCpower (that failed this summer) I would be looking hard at a commercial grade 230A Leece Neville. Leece Neville 230 Amp Alternator
Old 09-19-2017, 02:00 PM   #15
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
That's why I suspect the house battery is helping with a jump. I toss my starting batteries every 2 to 3 years. That's about when resting voltage hits 12.5. If anything for peace of mind.
Probably a good idea but since switching from maintenance free wet cell batteries to Odyssey/Sears AGM's, I quit having (practically yearly) battery issues. Early on I did see that my Starcool was too much for Fords largest alternator (that would fit) but I don't think that had anything to do with the failures. So far my XP-270 alternator has worked great and the case is the same as stock but the regulator is now mounted inside the cab to escape the under-hood temps.

When troubleshooting I usually try do or test the easy things first. Reaching down and feeling how hot the batteries are after a drive won't cost the OP any money. At least it might point em in the right direction.

Dropping the batteries is simple (but a PITA) and it never hurts to take a look anyway just to check the terminals for good connections. The shop should have done this already...unless they didn't

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 02:06 PM   #16
MSD

Garage
Quote:
Just say'n but your new Motorcraft was most likely a reman. Unless it was old stock or something and came in a blue box you can't buy a "new" alternator from Ford. They're all remans from Mexico.

If I didn't already have a DCpower (that failed this summer) I would be looking hard at a commercial grade 230A Leece Neville. Leece Neville 230 Amp Alternator

I know it was a reman & not brand new old stock. Poor choice of words on my part I guess, but figured everyone knew it was reman.

I didn't want it put in at all, but shop pushed with saying they didn't want to put in what I was requesting.

In the end it cost them money & I longer deal with them & found a better shop if I do have to go the route of having someone work on my van.

I know a few others here who have gone the route I did & are happy with there choice. I am as well... [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-19-2017, 02:36 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSD View Post
I know it was a reman & not brand new old stock. Poor choice of words on my part I guess, but figured everyone knew it was reman.

I didn't want it put in at all, but shop pushed with saying they didn't want to put in what I was requesting.

In the end it cost them money & I longer deal with them & found a better shop if I do have to go the route of having someone work on my van.

I know a few others here who have gone the route I did & are happy with there choice. I am as well... [emoji106]
And the route you went was with a Quick Start? They're supposed to be good. I went with a DCpower after all the recommendations on the diesel forums as well as perusing the automotive stereo forums. The sound freaks need the juice and are more anal and obsessive than the diesel guys. DCpower is supposed to be built with domestic parts with new stator, bearings, windings etc. Mine failed after 30,000 miles.

I'm convinced there is no magic alternator out there. Eventually the heat will fry the one you have. They're just too disposable an item. Like changing your oil and it's no big deal for a box store or NAPA to offer a life-time warranty because of the volume.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:48 PM   #18
MSD

Garage
Quote:
And the route you went was with a Quick Start? They're supposed to be good. I went with a DCpower after all the recommendations on the diesel forums as well as perusing the automotive stereo forums. The sound freaks need the juice and are more anal and obsessive than the diesel guys. DCpower is supposed to be built with domestic parts with new stator, bearings, windings etc. Mine failed after 30,000 miles.

I'm convinced there is no magic alternator out there. Eventually the heat will fry the one you have. They're just too disposable an item. Like changing your oil and it's no big deal for a box store or NAPA to offer a life-time warranty because of the volume.

Yes I went with Quick Start. 160 Amp 6G Series Heavy Duty Alternators part F18253MHD160Q1 and got it for a $100 less than they list it now. I agree heat fry's them, but I'm putting side vents and hood vents in to help let out heat when at idle, slow moving 4 low and when parked after driving. Also doing a turbo blanket, and wrapping all my pipes to help with heat as well. If I get prolonged the life all the better.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:24 PM   #19

I also have been using a QuickStart alternator since 2011. Also a 6G form factor at 200 amps with their remote rectifier bridge to spread the load over more diodes. I've run it pretty hard at times charging the house battery, 30amps to the lithium battery, and 23 amps to the hot water heater on top of what the motor requires and it's been flawless so far. Not cheap though.

-Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 07:25 PM   #20

I wrapped the pipes and added hood louvers and it made a big difference. No real data to back it up but the dog haus doesn't feel hot to the touch anymore and the vents certainly let heat out at when stopped.

Let us know how it goes Rockyzion. It's a labor of love fur us 6.0 psd aficionados.