Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2008, 01:14 PM   #1

A great electronics addition for any vehicle

I have recently made some cool upgrades to my conversion van. The best upgrade that I made was a 12 volt color TV with an under cabinet mount attached right to the fiberglass roof. Where I bolted the mount to the roof I made great use of the bolt threads showing on the outside. I made a simple bracket and attached a small wing mount UHF/VHF antenna to it.
I did a lot of research before I bought my TV and I recommend that you do the same. Some places on the internet are still selling sets that you will need a converter to use after the digital transition. I bought a Skyworth 19" flat panel TV from www.12volt-travel.com. I payed about $500 with shipping ( I chose 3 day shipping ) but it was really worth it. I love traveling and I also love watching movies. So for me it's a win win.

Joe

Joe_Diamold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 03:01 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Joe my question is will it receive HDTV? I'm ready to change mine soon for this reason.
Thanks Dave.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 05:52 PM   #3

Garage
This may be cool for some, but not for every van. I don't like television, and I would never have one in my SMB. I bought the van to get away from such crap!
Old 09-21-2008, 06:02 PM   #4

I have to agree, but -- to each their own!

Now, my little addiction is internet. I know I could get set up to have internet access all the time in the van, but would that be a good idea?

-- Geoff
Old 09-21-2008, 08:47 PM   #5

Geofff and Jeff (love that),
I, also, ordered my van with no TV. I'm too far behind in my reading to have one. In the hurricane(s), though, I saw the advantage of independent internet access for my iBook but neither electronics nor money are my long suits, so...except for my iPod through the van stereo...a whole lot of silence going on.
But live and let live (as long as I can't hear it).
Old 09-22-2008, 12:49 PM   #6

I, too, ordered my van with no TV-too many good books left to read. I like the 12 volt TV/DVD player (thanks for the info) for times, while on the road, that I may be stuck in a trailer park with the grand kids. While out in nature, no TV is needed.

Angel
2006 Chalet LTW 15ft. Folding Travel Trailer 14 in. tires
Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 02:02 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to MikewTV
I also feel like the SMB is my way of escaping TV. Especially since I work in the cable TV industry. Yet, I am now actually considering a TV/DVD player simply because my less 'outdoorsy' half has said that it would make camping more appealing. (That notion flies in the face of everything I enjoy about 'getting away from it all' but - if a compromise will result in more weekends camping together I guess I'll consider it.)

Now I'm in the market for an LCD TV/DVD that will mount where the dome lights currently are (and not cost a fortune.)
Old 09-22-2008, 05:25 PM   #8

As one of the guilty ones with a 24" tv and in motion satellite, I will say we rarely use the tv when we're camping, but it does make the 12 hour drives a little more tolerable when we're trying to cover ground on a long trip.
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...43791a54be.jpg
Buji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 07:16 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
Since our SMB doubles as a tailgating platform, the TV and satellite come in pretty handy.

We actually have it set up so that we can drive a TV out the side door or back door, and have the interior speakers OFF and the back door speakers on with an added external pair of speakers.
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote