Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2011, 02:26 PM   #1

Location: Disguised as a fat guy, deep inside a secret bunker, drinking martinis, playing rock and country.
Send a message via Yahoo to kmessinger
A sensor is hanging off my AGM battery.

I have a wire and a sensor hanging next to my AGM (coach) battery. Where the wire goes I don't know but the sensor was clearly just taped to the outside of the battery. All seems fine but disconnected wires make me nervous. Any ideas on this one?

Old 09-13-2011, 02:29 PM   #2

Location: Disguised as a fat guy, deep inside a secret bunker, drinking martinis, playing rock and country.
Re: A sensor is hanging off my AGM battery.

I should look on the web before I post,

Quote:
The Temperature Sensor will mount to the negative post of a battery or stick to the side; whichever is better for your application.
Now to find out how it works.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:06 PM   #3

Mine dangles at times and has to be reattached to the battery , Peter explained to me that it is a heat sensor for the inverter and the adhesive will not stay attached to ones house battery . I have taped it in place with heavy duty Electricians Tape . I was told that it is a secondary fail safe preventing the overcharging of the house battery ?
Greggd
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:26 AM   #4

From the trip-lite manual
"Connect Battery Temperature Sensing Cable—OPTIONAL (not on 612 models)
The battery temperature sensing function prolongs battery life by adjusting the charge float voltage level based on battery temperature. Connect the sensor cable (the cable, included with select models, has an RJ style connector on one end and a black sensor on the other) to the RJ style jack located on the side of the Inverter/Charger labeled “Remote Temp. Sense.” With user-supplied electrical or duct tape, affix the sensor to the side of the battery below the electrolyte level. Make sure that nothing, not even tape, comes between the sensor and the side of the battery. To guard against false readings due to ambient temperature, place the sensor between batteries, if possible, or away from sources of extreme heat or cold. If the sensor cable is not used, the Inverter/Charger will charge according to its default 25º C values."

Most other temperature sensors attach to the ground lug. Your charging values are compensated by the battery temperature. See attached chart from lifeline manual.

-greg
Scalf77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:56 PM   #5

Thanks for all the info. I used some black duct tape - not sticky enough but redid it today with some other tape.