Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2014, 08:39 AM   #41

Re: ABS Light On

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile
Just repair the wire, it will be easier, work perfect, and save you $60.
Thanks Baja, thats the first step after ringing the sensor out. Hopefully it didn't short. I am still wondering, however, whether I have to pull that rotor in the event that the sensor needs replacement… anyone know?

Old 04-16-2014, 08:42 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick
Thanks, i dont get any codes with my Scangauge. Do i need to buy another reader and what should I look for in the new reader to be able the read all codes.

Again thanks
Yeah, your ScanGauge won't do it. The most affordable scanner that can interface with the safety systems is AutoEngenuity with the Ford service pack. You'd be looking at $550 for the bundle, so it doesn't make sense if you'll only use rarely (but you could probably make all that back by helping out your 6.0 friends).
Old 04-16-2014, 11:54 AM   #43

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceansrealm
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile
Just repair the wire, it will be easier, work perfect, and save you $60.
Thanks Baja, thats the first step after ringing the sensor out. Hopefully it didn't short. I am still wondering, however, whether I have to pull that rotor in the event that the sensor needs replacement… anyone know?
Yes, you will have to remove the hub and rotor.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:33 AM   #44

Wow, just saw this thread pop up.

Mine ended up getting fixed when I was in Portland - and it must have been in 2011 or so. It had come on again on that cross country and I brought it into Northside Ford, where I bought the van before conversion. A great mechanic there isolated it - the wiring bundle that came down to the front passenger side wheel was loose and a wire had chafed. He spliced it, secured it, and I was good to go. My local Ford dealer had gone through the whole rigamarole of getting a new sensor, etc., when it wasn't really needed.

I may be passing through the Northwest for the first time in two years soon. I should call up John and Quadvan and say hi.

Paul
Old 04-17-2014, 11:48 AM   #45

Spliced it using double wall shrink tube (waterproof). ABS light off.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:38 AM   #46
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb

Yeah, your ScanGauge won't do it. The most affordable scanner that can interface with the safety systems is AutoEngenuity with the Ford service pack. You'd be looking at $550 for the bundle, so it doesn't make sense if you'll only use rarely (but you could probably make all that back by helping out your 6.0 friends).
I have an "older" Actron CP9580 that will read ABS codes along with the engine DTC's as well. eBay has them new or in good gently used condition often enough, typically $150 or so.

Its a nice unit, semi-sophisticated and affordable for just occasional DIY use.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 12:37 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick
Thanks, i dont get any codes with my Scangauge. Do i need to buy another reader and what should I look for in the new reader to be able the read all codes.

Again thanks
Palmer Engineering also sells software and hardware tools to do this. Not sure the exact price, but the last car we looked at it was substantially less than $500, even for the extended Ford codes for ABS (and there are a lot of 'em).