Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2024, 11:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
Looks good to me......do you have a battery monitor somewhere? They are incredibly useful. Does the battery BMS support bluetooth?
Confidence rising! Thank you for saying "looks good."

My battery has a built in bluetooth app that shows me SoC. For now, I'm satisfied with that. 1der and I have talked about adding a shunt + BMS but for now, I'm OK with the built in monitoring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
Have you bought the solar panel yet?
Picking it up in Sacramento on Monday. Think I got it for $248.60. I was hoping to get a 440W panel that was recommended (I think by you) on this forum but supply was running low and shipping expensive.

Old 06-09-2024, 06:24 AM   #12

Nice plan. I’d look into a dual pole breaker (vs single) from the solar panel to controller. I don’t recall the reason,, but that is what I’ve seen while researching my design. I chose a 32a DIN mount for mine.
I’ve chosen the BMV-712 for monitoring SOC. It seems pretty slick. It comes with remote display and connects with other Victron devices via Bluetooth. It also has a 2nd input to monitor battery temperature or starter battery voltage. Claims Bluetooth range is better than the smartshunts.
The 50a smart charger is nice, hasn’t seen that one yet. Will be nice when/if they make a 24v version as that is what I’m doing with my solar / battery / inverter system (600W/25A)
natewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2024, 04:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanduh View Post
Thank you!

At the time I posted this, I wasn't flying really blind. Since then, I've made a lot of choices and, while there are still some murky areas, I've got a lot more clarity.

I've attached my latest schematic. Please let me know if you see any issues with the way I've got this planned out.
Does the victron dc-dc charger not have a solar input on it? My Renogy has alternator, solar, and house connections so no need for an additional mppt controller.

Other thing I will say is you may consider a breaker on the AC input to the inverter -- I installed one so I wasn't relying on the shore breaker. Always nice to be able to isolate things too.
AlexSMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2024, 04:56 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexSMB View Post
Does the victron dc-dc charger not have a solar input on it?
It does not.........
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2024, 11:43 AM   #15

The victron offerings are sort of weak - seems they are either in to solar only for like remote cabins and whatnot, and DC/DC for vehicles, without regard to applications that have both solar and DC/DC, which is too bad since their overall product line has been OK and their apps are pretty slick.

Renogy 50A all-in-one is a great McBudget alternative to the Redarc all-in-one. Being able to recharge the starting battery from solar is super nice if you have a rig that sits a lot, even a 50 watt panel would keep it topped up and ready to go without needing a battery maintainer. Biggest sad point with Renogy is their apps and displays are hot garbage.
Big_ern_101 is offline   Reply With Quote