Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2024, 08:29 PM   #1

Adding an inverter

I'm working adding solar to my rig.

The end goal is to run a 2kW inverter.

I don't have much by way of schematics for the setup under the bench. There's a IntelliPower, a bus bar, and some breakers for shower power, as well as a GFI outlet for shore but it's not crystal clear to me how I would wire an inverter into this system.

Any and all help is appreciated!

Old 05-30-2024, 05:34 AM   #2

What inverter are you installing?
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 07:36 PM   #3

If you are installing an inverter/charger (with integral transfer switch) then your shore power input will wire to the inverter and the 110VAC inverter outputs will wire to your AC distribution.

If you just want to install an inverter (without charger function) you can simply wire the 12V side of the inverter to the battery and the 110VAC side to the distribution panel.....then wire the shore power to the existing intellipower converter only......this is how my van is wired.

Do you have the charge wizard option for the intellipower?? you really need one if you don't have one....or if you are installing a converter/charger you can remove the Intellipower.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2024, 08:09 AM   #4

solar

Have you thought about using what I am thinking is a more plug and play system such as Goal Zero. There are others that get good reviews for what that is worth. Sync Vans use Goal Zero. One advantage is that you can take your battery unit out to have power where ever you want it.
lolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2024, 05:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanduh View Post
I'm working adding solar to my rig.

The end goal is to run a 2kW inverter.

I don't have much by way of schematics for the setup under the bench. There's a IntelliPower, a bus bar, and some breakers for shower power, as well as a GFI outlet for shore but it's not crystal clear to me how I would wire an inverter into this system.

Any and all help is appreciated!
I just replaced all of my electrical under the bench with a 3kw inverter/charger and lithium batteries. As stated by someone else above, you'll want to wire the 30A plug to your input of the inverter then run the output to your distribution. This gets tricky depending on the outputs of your inverter. My inverter has a <1000W outlet and a >1000W outlet. I have the >1000W feeding my AC distribution and I rewired the GFI/Outlet directly to the <1000W output of the inverter. If you could link a model of your inverter it would help us guide you for sure.
AlexSMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2024, 08:46 PM   #6

I don't know if anybody has looked at installing one of the newer All-in-one off-grid units.

The MPP models among other modes come in:
  • PIP 1012 LV-MK 1Kwatt 12V
  • PIP 2024 LV-MK 2Kwatt 24V
  • PIP 3048 LV-MK 3Kwatt 48V.

The largest is about 20"x16"x8" (468x295x120mm) and would dramatically simplify all the connections.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/134633624820

This 3Kwatt model is a double conversion UPS with Pure sinewave 120VAC output from 48VDC battery and MPPT solar controller, it handles all combinations of battery, generator, solar, and grid inputs and has a 6Kwatt for 5 seconds surge capacity to solve any AC rooftop air conditioner startup load conditions.

There are different options for monitoring. I'm looking to use a straightforward Serial to Wi-Fi transceiver.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/14499104152...&segname=11051

If you buy from ebay you get a 3year Allstate protection plan for $58

another alternative is this 2.7 KW 24V PIP 2724LV-MR doesn't require any 120VAC outlet output wiring

https://www.ebay.com/itm/27547189030...Bk9SR8L6gNz-Yw
posplayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2024, 12:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalf77 View Post
What inverter are you installing?
You saw this by now but responding for posterity in this thread: the MultiPlus Compact 12/2000/80.
Old 06-08-2024, 12:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolo View Post
Have you thought about using what I am thinking is a more plug and play system such as Goal Zero. There are others that get good reviews for what that is worth. Sync Vans use Goal Zero. One advantage is that you can take your battery unit out to have power where ever you want it.
Yeah, I have a Jackery too. And on some trips I'll bring it but what the way I use the van, what I really want is to be able to plug in an extension cord to the van, get power at my campsite, and not have to worry about unplugging, plugging, and lugging around another battery.
Old 06-08-2024, 12:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexSMB View Post
I just replaced all of my electrical under the bench with a 3kw inverter/charger and lithium batteries. As stated by someone else above, you'll want to wire the 30A plug to your input of the inverter then run the output to your distribution. This gets tricky depending on the outputs of your inverter. My inverter has a <1000W outlet and a >1000W outlet. I have the >1000W feeding my AC distribution and I rewired the GFI/Outlet directly to the <1000W output of the inverter. If you could link a model of your inverter it would help us guide you for sure.
Thank you!

At the time I posted this, I wasn't flying really blind. Since then, I've made a lot of choices and, while there are still some murky areas, I've got a lot more clarity.

I've attached my latest schematic. Please let me know if you see any issues with the way I've got this planned out.
Attached Thumbnails
Van Electrical Schematic (2).jpg  
Old 06-08-2024, 06:32 PM   #10

Looks good to me......do you have a battery monitor somewhere? They are incredibly useful. Does the battery BMS support bluetooth?

Have you bought the solar panel yet?
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote