Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2011, 12:29 PM   #1

Garage
Adding an inverter to SMB

I am planning to add a 700w inverter to my SMB so I can provide power to the 110v receptacles when we are not on shore power. There are no built in 110v appliances i.e. microwave, AC etc.

Instead of replacing my converter with a converter/inverter I'd like to just add an inverter and connect it through the main 110v distribution panel. Is this a valid/safe approach?

Code:
Shore power    ----\
                    30 amp auto transfer switch -> 100amp main breaker -> 30amp main breaker on power distro panel
Inverter power ----/

Here is a link to the automatic transfer switch I am planning to use.

http://www.progressivedyn.com/prod_d...pd5110010.html

Old 11-11-2011, 01:03 PM   #2

Re: Adding an inverter to SMB

That sounds like an excellent way to go. I like the auto-transfer switch you have selected.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:09 PM   #3
Site Team

Garage

Seems like a good way to go. Does the converter have a 3 stage charger on it or do you have a separate charger on board? Some inverters have high tech chargers on them, something you might want to look in to.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:28 PM   #4

Garage

Quote:
Does the converter have a 3 stage charger on it
Yes, it has a Progressive Dynamics 9100 series INTELI-POWER with charge wizard. It's a nice setup, my build was completed in 2011 so everything is new and up to the latest standards. Thanks for the input Dave.

http://www.progressivedyn.com/power_converters.html
Old 03-13-2013, 01:18 PM   #5

I know this was a while ago, but how did it turn out? I was thinking of doing the same thing, but I had not thought about putting in an auto switch.

I do have a built in Fridge and Microwave that run off of AC. I would like to send the inverter into the 110v receptacles out of convenience, but I was worried that the Fridge would pick up the converted AC and try to run off of that instead of DC, which would put unnecessary draw on the Inverter.
theparkland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:58 PM   #6

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by theparkland
I know this was a while ago, but how did it turn out? I was thinking of doing the same thing, but I had not thought about putting in an auto switch.

I do have a built in Fridge and Microwave that run off of AC. I would like to send the inverter into the 110v receptacles out of convenience, but I was worried that the Fridge would pick up the converted AC and try to run off of that instead of DC, which would put unnecessary draw on the Inverter.
No complaints, it's worked perfectly for our needs. Here is the final install.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8219

I'm a little confused about what you are trying to do. The AC and DC circuits are completely seperate in my SMB. My refrigerator only runs on AC and I don't have a microwave.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:24 PM   #7

my extensive research rells me inverters come in two basic sizes ( not quite enough wattage) or (hellishly expensive and complicated)
Old 03-13-2013, 03:48 PM   #8

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasrandall
my extensive research rells me inverters come in two basic sizes ( not quite enough wattage) or (hellishly expensive and complicated)
Agree, you need to plan it based on your needs. The Xantrex 600w that I installed was $250 and provides more than enough amps for our needs. They make inverters in all sorts of different wattages, they seem to be getting cheaper and cheaper. A Xantrex 2500w inverter/converter sells for $1500 and I remember them being over $2000 not to long ago.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:58 PM   #9

Awesome build thread. I came across this thread because I was searching for info on Progressive Dynamics converter/chargers which I plan to add to get charging capability and get rid of the old noisy converter.

My Norcold fridge is AC/DC and switches between. I'm still learning how it works, and will look closer at the wiring when I get home. Thanks for the info!
theparkland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:28 PM   #10
Site Team

Garage

Just read up on a converters charging specs. In the past many converters had more simple chargers as compared to inverters with multi stage chargers. Not saying that they're not out there though.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote