Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2018, 12:53 AM   #1

Adding cruise control and need some input

In the beginning phases of my van build (2006 E350 cargo) and one of the must have items was cruise control. My van did not come with cruise from the factory, so I went about procuring the parts to add it. I got a cruise wheel from a junkyard van and then ordered a new set of cruise buttons and a seven wire clock spring. All the new parts went in without a hitch, then I had a good friend who is a master Ford mechanic enable the speed control setting in the ECM via Ford IDS software. All the ECM changes took, but unfortunately I'm still without cruise.

The horn and cruise button backlights all work and I don't have an airbag light on the dash, so I assume all the connections were made properly. I took a look under the hood and I see two connectors attached to the master cylinder, so I think I have the brake cancel switch already installed. My next course of action is to check fuses and then jump out the terminals on the brake switch connector.

I just wanted to post up and see if anyone else has experienced something similar when attempting to add cruise

ibike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 03:59 AM   #2
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
VSC in Ford vans is VERY year and fuel specific so I'm guessing you sourced the switches and clock spring from someone knowledgeable?

The steering wheel switches backlighting connection is very common so that's easy enough to accomplish---its how the switches "talk" to the PCM that's important.

Testing the master cylinder cancel switch is wise---that can certainly stop VSC from engaging. If that's not the issue definitely time to use a Ford factory EVTM or WSM to test and diagnose the installed VSC as installed on the van.

Good luck with this---VSC is a great addition and well worth the effort to get it working correctly.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 07:46 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
VSC in Ford vans is VERY year and fuel specific so I'm guessing you sourced the switches and clock spring from someone knowledgeable?

The steering wheel switches backlighting connection is very common so that's easy enough to accomplish---its how the switches "talk" to the PCM that's important.

Testing the master cylinder cancel switch is wise---that can certainly stop VSC from engaging. If that's not the issue definitely time to use a Ford factory EVTM or WSM to test and diagnose the installed VSC as installed on the van.

Good luck with this---VSC is a great addition and well worth the effort to get it working correctly.
New parts (buttons and clock spring) came directly from an Ford parts supplier online, I used the vehicle finder parts lookup feature on a few different websites to ensure I got the correct year specific parts.

The one thing I can't seem to find info on is how the cruise is supposed to behave, meaning are there dash lights that come on after certain button presses have been made, or are they dependent on the VSC being engaged at speed. I'd love to hear from someone who's got a VSC equipped van that could tell me the exact procedure to set a cruise speed so I know I'm pushing all the buttons in the correct sequence. May sound trivial, but I'd like to start eliminating potential issues with the lowest hanging fruit first.
Old 10-31-2018, 10:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibike View Post
New parts (buttons and clock spring) came directly from an Ford parts supplier online, I used the vehicle finder parts lookup feature on a few different websites to ensure I got the correct year specific parts.

The one thing I can't seem to find info on is how the cruise is supposed to behave, meaning are there dash lights that come on after certain button presses have been made, or are they dependent on the VSC being engaged at speed. I'd love to hear from someone who's got a VSC equipped van that could tell me the exact procedure to set a cruise speed so I know I'm pushing all the buttons in the correct sequence. May sound trivial, but I'd like to start eliminating potential issues with the lowest hanging fruit first.

Got it working. Checked both fuses (brake pedal position and brake pressure switches) and they were both good. Then proceeded to jump out the terminals in the pressure switch connector on the harness side. Got the van over 30 and then pressed On followed by Set and the van held speed. Tested Off, Accel and Coast as well. All seem to be functioning properly.

I plan on replacing the pressure switch, reconnecting and testing.

For reference, I get no lights on the cluster indicating cruise is engaged. I assume this is normal. I have a T1N Sprinter I drive for work and it also has no indicator lights for cruise functions.
Old 11-01-2018, 05:59 AM   #5

FYI - You may qualify for a replacement pressure switch under recall. As part of the recall, they will install a fusible link harness feeding that pressure switch. The ruptured pressure switches are a known problem, and fire hazard without the fusible link.
Old 11-14-2018, 04:56 AM   #6

I have installed a few cruise controls over the years and never saw an aftermarket unit that performed as well as OEM. They usually look aftermarket too. The Miata engine is not overly endowed with torque, so all the more reason to go with OEM. Good luck!
911 is offline   Reply With Quote