Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2023, 01:40 PM   #21

FYI my van is a E350 XLT window van and has the overhead console.

Conversion in process. Lol
Denver, CO
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 04:03 PM   #22

@kevman amazing write up and exactly what I was looking for! Have you posted that elsewhere at any point? Like I’m Facebook SMB group or something? I saw something similar, which is what made me think of it.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 04:15 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman View Post
I also forgot to add that if your van has the same sun visors that ours had, you'll need to shorten them by an inch or two. I don't have any photos of this process but I used a seem ripper to remove the piping on the curved section. Then I trimmed an inch or so off the cardboard inner and vinyl before sewing the piping back down.
Look great! I wonder if the visors from the vehicle that donates the console could be swapped in, that is if they are the correct color. They would already be the correct size to fit with the console.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 08:58 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
@kevman amazing write up and exactly what I was looking for! Have you posted that elsewhere at any point? Like I’m Facebook SMB group or something? I saw something similar, which is what made me think of it.
Nope, never posted it before. I started a build thread many years ago at expedition portal but never really had time to update it. To be honest, I don't check here often but this thread was highlighted in the weekly forum newsletter email and I knew I could provide some pics. Happy to be able to help!!
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 08:52 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
The wiring is what I trying to track down.
I got lucky last weekend and found exactly one of these F150 overhead consoles left in my local wrecking yard. Many had already been harvested and were gone.

If you find a console, be sure to take the time to also pull out the wiring harness that goes to it. It includes the correct plug and all the correct color-coded wiring. They just kind of threw this in with the console, but it's actually a very valuable part and will save a lot of time and hassle with the wiring. Oh and on the end of the harness is the correct temp sensor for the display (note: they are not all alike). Might as well take that too - you will need it.
Old 02-19-2023, 01:04 PM   #26

Quote:
I also forgot to add that if your van has the same sun visors that ours had, you'll need to shorten them by an inch or two. I don't have any photos of this process but I used a seem ripper to remove the piping on the curved section. Then I trimmed an inch or so off the cardboard inner and vinyl before sewing the piping back down.
I came across an E150 Chateau in the junk yard. If the van has the overhead console, it will have visors that are shorter and will fit without the need for any modifications. Lucky - probably a hard to find item.

Note: the overhead console in the Chateau has a different roof contour than the F150 console. Unless you have the OEM headliner, the F150 console will be easier to make fit.
Old 03-23-2023, 09:31 AM   #27

Quote:
If it doesn't get a signal the temperature will still work but it will only go down.
If I understand this, when you're camped out (not moving) this will not provide an accurate reading of the ambient air temp as it rises during the day. Or, are you able to override this somehow?
Old 03-24-2023, 04:22 PM   #28

It resets after the vehicle has been off for a certain amount of time but I'm not sure how long that is.

Honestly, I've never really checked the temperature when I'm not driving so I can't say for certain how it handles that.
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote