Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2013, 06:53 PM   #1

AGM Battery?

Our 2005 6L is nearing time for new engine batteries. I've done a bit of research and it looks like AGM replacements are available along with traditional sealed lead acid.

The AGM is higher cost but should have a longer life. I am using our van in cold weather, it didn't like starting but did at 20 below zero F. last week.

Any recommendations? Are there advantages or disadvantages to AGM beyond life and higher cost? The Die Hard and Interstate batteries were highly rated by Consumer Reports.

Old 12-09-2013, 06:58 PM   #2
Site Team

Re: AGM Battery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocSavage
Our 2005 6L is nearing time for new engine batteries. I've done a bit of research and it looks like AGM replacements are available along with traditional sealed lead acid.

The AGM is higher cost but should have a longer life. I am using our van in cold weather, it didn't like starting but did at 20 below zero F. last week.

Any recommendations? Are there advantages or disadvantages to AGM beyond life and higher cost? The Die Hard and Interstate batteries were highly rated by Consumer Reports.
I like AGMs, but the Interstates, and especially the Die Hards, are easier to find replacements for when on the road.

Herb
Old 12-10-2013, 12:49 AM   #3
Site Team

Garage

AGM's are still affected by cold but not as much as typical wet cell designs. AGM's don't freeze in most cases. The main difference is that most AGM's can only taken to 50% before having to be recharged but the positive of aspect is they charge quickly.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
I like AGMs, but the Interstates, and especially the Die Hards, are easier to find replacements for when on the road.
You can have an AGM in a Die Hard:

http://www.sears.com/diehard-advanced-g ... 850734000P

I ended up with one (v10) of those, and so far so good.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:45 AM   #5

I'm under the impression (and, of course, don't remember where I got the impression) that AGM batteries are not the best design for starter batteries where there is a very heavy demand when starting then basically no demand while the engine is running.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:56 AM   #6
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

lots of other posts on the subject to be found, most will say to go with AGM these days. Sealed so no spill, holds up longer in extreme conditions, better for cycling. Deka is my choice made by East Penn in the good ol USA. They make many other private label batts for other companies, just installed a few Duracell AGM's made by East Penn in a friends SMB. Just make sure you replace both your starters with like batteries at the same time, if you've got 2, AGM's or wet cell, as an old(bad) one will draw down a new(good) one. Your house battery is most likely an AGM. I found Hensley battery nearby in Denver, they are the Deka distributor and usually have better pricing than retailers. If in a bind, or can't find them anywhere else, Batteries Plus carries them as well as another brand of AGM's made by odyssey I think, just much more expensive. Sears Die Hard AGM I think are also made by Odyssey or East Penn, might be another good choice if the one hasn't shut down in your area and it looks like the pricing is good. I've moved away from buying any more optima batteries, they are not made like they used to be and have had some reliability issues lately, but napa still carries them.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:15 AM   #7

I just did two Northstar starting batteries and Lifeline house battery.
Not cheap, but from what I found, very good.

2010 SMB
www.xtrememobileadventures.com
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:48 PM   #8

I had an Interstate starting battery for my van which did not last one year, replaced under warranty but it is pain to drop them.
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:54 PM   #9

Two thumbs up for Sears AGMs!
Old 02-02-2014, 09:36 AM   #10

Just a few comments on batteries and cold weather starting. I noticed DocSavage is in North Dakota. I lived in Alaska for 45 years and found that engine & battery preheat really saves a lot of wear and tear on equipment. I used both flooded cell lead acid and AGM type batteries in my vehicles and airplanes. Silicone heating pads bonded to the exterior on the oil pan & battery case worked excellent. The pads are made in many sizes and heat outputs. They mount to odd shapes well as they are flexible and mount with high temp silicone. The electrical draw is low usually not more that 300 watts so they work well with generators. The heat pads can be purchased with built in thermostats which for aircraft use prevent any possibility of carburizing the oil from getting too hot. I used undersized pads for the batteries as you are only wanting to warm them to approx. 50 degrees.
My airplane using a insulated cowling cover, engine oil & cylinders would be 80 degrees in 4 hours when -30 degrees outside air temp.
azjim is offline   Reply With Quote