Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2016, 10:22 PM   #1

Air Blend Door. Only blow cold air

Hey guys first post. Just bought a 97 E350. I am getting only cold air from the vents. My wife said the heat worked the first day we got it for a minute. I don't remember.
I have read about the blend door stuck or broken. Anyone have experience with this? If so how were you able to determine that was the problem and how hard was it to fix.
I have seen some videos and write ups. Just want to make sure that's what it is before I get into.

PNWVAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 11:30 PM   #2

I went through this, but never had a chance to finish the project before my first SMB was stolen. The parts are relatively cheap but it's a HUGE pain in the ass to DIY. It's usually the connection between the blend motor and blend door up under the passenger foot well. If you go in, just replace everything. Going in is the problem though. It means removing the passenger seat, having very small hands, having an extensive set of tools, etc. The hardest part is removing the heater core hoses waaaaaaay up behind the oil fill tube...on a 5.4L.

JWA, a VERY helpful forum member here, advised me on this on the Ford Truck forum. I would PM him here or on the FT forum. If you take it to a shop, the "book" is going to tell them to remove the entire dash for this repair. $$$

Alternatively, there is a video on youtube which shows you how to drill down through your upper passenger-side dash to hook up a wire coat hanger for manual manipulation of the blend door.
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 11:45 PM   #3

Your blend door is right above passenger's feet on far right firewall. Sometimes it can get stuck but it is probably a dry cracked vacuum hose. I wouldn't drill anything unless you want that look permanently. Is your van gas or diesel?
VOODOO7.3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 05:37 AM   #4

Gas 5.4. Sounds like it can be a real pain in the a**
Old 09-22-2016, 02:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWVAN View Post
Gas 5.4. Sounds like it can be a real pain in the a**
Maybe, maybe not. First thing to do is remove access panel on top middle of dash and determine if you have have vacuum to black hose. Here's a link that might help on a forum that will give you more search results than this one:
AC vent/blend door problem? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums
Remember, the more info you provide on what functions are working or not will get you the best help. Cheers!
VOODOO7.3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 02:23 PM   #6

There are lots of threads about blend door problems and fixes. Try the search function and let us know what you find out.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 04:22 PM   #7

Thanks guys I wont be able to look at it again until tomorrow. I will take a look at the link tonight and do a little more searching.
Old 10-03-2016, 05:18 PM   #8

Air Blend Door Update

So I went for it this weekend and replaced the blend door and the heater core on the 97 E350. Had no heat. A few estimates to get it fix for around $1600.

Took me about 2 days of going to the parts store, waiting for parts and trying to get some of the damn screws out. The one at the top of the heater core box is an SOB for sure. Other problem were the heater hose quick connects (not sure I would call them quick). Actually took me longer to get it apart than to put it back together.
All said and done, I now have heat. A few scratches, curse words and maybe a tool or two dropped really hard.
For some reason the rear ac has no heat but for now. I dont sit in the back.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:32 PM   #9

Glad you got it fixed! Those quick disconnects suck. I ordered special tools off Amazon and still couldn't get them off. So frustrated I was just going to cut the heater core out and buy a new one. Also have to agree with you about that top screw too; I think they put that one there just to screw with us.
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 11:46 AM   #10

yeah, that screw was really a butt kicker. Now I need to work on the rear heat.