Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2021, 01:44 PM   #1

all lighter style outlets are dead

Recently on a 2 &1/2 week trip I realized a dash cigarette lighter outlet stopped working. A few days later I noticed the lighter outlets in the van house had also stopped working. Then the two lights on the inside passenger side stopped working. The only change this trip was I had my ebike with and was using the inverter to recharge the ebike battery most days. At home I went through the van (ford) fuses and changed one that looked funky. did the same on the house fuses and changed the one obviously bad one, the two inside lights worked again. Van is in the shop for possible fuel pump issue now, but need to figure out a direction after I get it back. First I'll recheck fuses, from there ....? if I can't sort this out should I take it to my mechanic or the rv repair guys?
Thanks

Old 10-24-2021, 04:14 PM   #2

Does the inverter you were using for ebike plug into the 12 volt sockets? Or were plugging other power devices into these sockets?

The front Ford sockets are independent of the RV sockets in the rear. So it would appear you are plugging something into the sockets that is blowing power.

Sockets on the passenger side are on the same power circuit as the lights on the passenger side. (30-amp fuse)

-greg
Scalf77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 09:54 AM   #3

Thanks, rig will be in the shop all week waiting for fuel pump, then I can check. The inverter is hardwired in from Sptsmble. The only things I plug into lighter sockets are a garmin gps and more often charging iPad or iPhone. Waiting for AAA the other day I noticed a plastic ring inside one of the lighter sockets was floating loose.
Old 10-25-2021, 10:41 AM   #4
Site Team

Garage
I had one of those DC lighter outlet plugs fail once and it blew the fuse of every outlet I plugged the device into.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 11:00 AM   #5

Thanks, I was thinking of trying a different plug.
Old 10-25-2021, 12:22 PM   #6

I definitely would check the devices that were being plugged into the sockets. The built in inverter should have nothing to do with those circuits.

-greg
Scalf77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 09:19 AM   #7

After replacing two fuses again I tossed the old lighter plugin and lightening cord. Seems to work fine now. Going out for a few days tomorrow. Thanks for the feedback, you guys are the best.