Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2017, 07:27 AM   #1

Aluminess Rear Bumper With Swing Arms - Liscence Plate Light Install

So my new van has an Aluminess Rear Bumper with Swing Arms and I mounted my lisence plate to the bumper but I need to add lights. I have these lights coming:

https://www.amazon.com/Rupse-White-M...e+plate+lights

and I need to figure out how to wire them in. Can they be wired to one of the wires in the trailer light assembly or is there a better place?

Thanks!

Taylor3633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 02:14 PM   #2

We're in the same boat Taylor! I just received those lights for my (your old) van and am planning on tying into the tail lights or the stock license plate lights....In the meantime i have removed the aluminess box and put the plate in the stock location.
stayalert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 02:43 PM   #3

If the stock license plate wiring is buried behind trim, you could find your trailer wiring running lights and certainly tie into that. Probably easiest to use the trailer wiring as it's right there.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:35 PM   #4

(sorry if I'm hijacking your thread Taylor) That's currently my plan...I'm planning on tying into trailer harness for my additional stop/turn/tail lights as well....
Old 05-10-2017, 07:20 AM   #5

No hijack at all! I didn't realize the plate lights weren't working on your van...

Do you (or anyone) know how to find the right wire for the lead; definitely not much of a sparky.
Old 05-10-2017, 01:41 PM   #6

I haven't dug into it yet....I just rigged up a functional 3rd brake light for an inspection (fingers crossed) for tomorrow. It may be a bit before I get back to to the license plate and additional stop/turn/tail lights....In basic trailer wiring I believe the tail light wire is brown. If your wired for trailer lights follow the brown back to where it ties into the vehicle wiring.
Old 05-11-2017, 06:46 AM   #7

Well that was simple. Two splice connectors and I was in business. It was the brown wire Rob.